Author Topic: Globe ArtichokesI  (Read 1153 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Globe ArtichokesI
« on: April 28, 2011, 18:50:32 »
sowed some the other week in a heated propogator and nowt happened, am I too late to start again? Any tips?

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Globe ArtichokesI
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:33:08 »
Only to suggest you chit them first in the usual damp paper in plastic box, or similar. I have about 15 healthy plants ready to go out from doing this a couple of months ago. Then you only pot up the ones that have put out a root.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:41:37 »
Only to suggest you chit them first in the usual damp paper in plastic box, or similar. I have about 15 healthy plants ready to go out from doing this a couple of months ago. Then you only pot up the ones that have put out a root.

15- you must have a big plot top fit those in! I've got 4 ready to go in but thinking about only planting two as they take up so much room!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 13:40:18 »
I started off quite a few last year, and most of them succumbed to snow and frost in their first winter, so I am trying harder this year. I am used to having a lot, but even the mature ones died out over the winter. I have three half plots, so they will all go out, but I might give some away if they all take.

I have had some wonderful artichoke years, but the last 2 or 3 have been very frustrating.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal