Author Topic: pea shoots  (Read 1676 times)

salvation plot

• Not So New ...
  • My hanging basket last year.
pea shoots
« on: April 30, 2011, 19:34:47 »
Hi, can any one advice me what peas to buy to raise some pea shoots, i love the ones sainsburys sell, they are very strong in taste.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: pea shoots
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 19:39:29 »
Any edible pea will do for shoots.. ;) I just use what ever I have spare and left over.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 19:48:29 »
the only thing to bear in mind is that pea seeds for sowing may have been treated with a fungicide.........

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 20:05:04 »
the only thing to bear in mind is that pea seeds for sowing may have been treated with a fungicide.........

Buy organic or biodynamic ?  I find you get more seeds than normal as well especially with the first two  ;)

Stormy Hall Seeds
Real Seed Co
Organic Seeds

All the best
Sue  :)
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 20:07:11 »
I've just had a look at Sainsburys. They are £1 for 50g ::) ;D.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 20:14:56 »
I use Leo dried peas from ASDA. Alys Fowler used them for pea shoots on her TV show. Very good value for money.
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Dried_Vegetables/Leo_Dried_Peas_with_Steeping_Tablet_250g.html?ShowSwitchSMBar=3

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 20:30:41 »
Dwarf Grey Dugar are the ones that they suggest over here, they can be grown on further and  the flowers used got salads and garnish too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 20:42:46 »

Buy organic or biodynamic ?  I find you get more seeds than normal as well especially with the first two  ;)

Stormy Hall Seeds
Real Seed Co
Organic Seeds

All the best
Sue  :)

i was thinking a packet of dried peas from Tesco

salvation plot

• Not So New ...
  • My hanging basket last year.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 21:22:49 »
Thanks everyone, i have been told to use a variety of peas, dried peas from tesco or sainsburys seems to be the favorites, but the ones from sainsburys seems to have a lovely taste, i have tasted a few from our allotments today, 5 in total but they just dont have that wonderful taste, maybe its my taste buds i dont know, they taste very peppery, i will try a few i think and see i guess. I cant get enough of them, im doing alot of salads at the moment with this beautiful weather we are having, i buy a packet and its gone in a flash. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal