Author Topic: Coop and run - still looking  (Read 1455 times)

mentallot

• Half Acre
Coop and run - still looking
« on: April 27, 2011, 14:24:04 »
Hi all,
Still looking to get a coop & run in an economical way. Ebay always ends up too far away or too expensive, no joy on freecycle or local ads. Even buying bits and building my own is expensive - need to make sure I get it right first time (aka foxproof), so don't really want to go with rubbish wood/wire and lose stock and dismay the kids.

Any ideas anyone ?!

Thanks !

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Coop and run - still looking
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 15:43:15 »
What about a shed or a large rabbit hutch. Does it have to be o coop. The run will need to be buried at least 12'' underground & as long as they are locked in at night they should be safe. We bought a coop but wish we had built our own ::).

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Coop and run - still looking
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 16:45:34 »
I think coops are bit 'difficult' to maintain...get cheap or second hand shed..get fallen branch of from woods as a perch (about 2" across)...as for nest box..well even cardboad box will do for them with bit of bedding, and good thing is that when they have a rest from laying you can always burn the box and get new one..less mites and treatments.. ;)
The good thing about sheds are that you can get inside and keeping it clean is much less effort. You can build shelves to keep food bins on.
As for pen..well..hunt some timber and get some wire/ mesh panels..maybe some trips to recycling centres or tips would source some of that material for cheaper..or ask from your local builders if they would have something suitable that they no longer are able to use for health and safety reasons.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal