Author Topic: private number plates, how much work and cost involved  (Read 1966 times)

debster

• Hectare
private number plates, how much work and cost involved
« on: April 27, 2011, 14:35:50 »
I am seriously considering buying hubby a private plate for his birthday this year, i have seen a few i like how much cost and work is involved what do we have to do?
thanks
debbie

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: private number plates, how much work and cost involved
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 15:41:08 »
The best place to start is the DVLA website.  They sell lots of plates direct and explain the process.

Be wary of using an agency.  I received a letter from one asking if I would like to buy a particular plate, they would handle the transfer (it used to cost an additional £80 IIRC) only £1,200 plus VAT all in - went to the DVLA and they had the plate for £250.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 21:25:21 »
these things are one of the few things that the americans have named correctly

'Vanity plates'    ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 21:32:15 »
Aww..... Tony !

I have one and love it :)

Defo go thru DVLA to purchase one

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 14:18:53 »
I used to have one on the bike.  They're very easy to transfer and to renew.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 15:36:57 »
 I did object to my wife buying me a number plate just for a joke from those robbers down in Swansea, but in my case it was 'thingy 1', ;D ;D, only joking better things to spend my brass on,   like today a nice Red Goosegog plant for a fiver  :)

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:15:52 »
Aww..... Tony !

I have one and love it :)

Defo go thru DVLA to purchase one

Do you have a proper one or do you have to mess around making numbers look like letters or dark screws to make 4's look like A's.

I've fancied one but some do look naff

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 18:08:03 »
Vanity Plates indeed they are. But what the hell if you have everything else why not for a bit of fun.

If the plates are very obviously personal, there is always the risk that some bored copper will stop you, just to find out 'who you are'.

I think it was Jimmy Tarbuck (I could be wrong)  who mentioned it on a chat show that his personal plate COM 1C meant his car journey was interrupted on a few occasions, which ended up with him having to be pleasant to the boys in blue when he just wanted to get home. 'Tell us a joke' was not what the tired comedian want to be asked when he just wanted to get home his bed. And if he had the slightest whiff of a drink on his breath he could have been asked to blow in the bag. Even if it is just a half of a weak beer the smell lingers for a long time.

I have seen some amusing ones though. Similar to POO 1T on a van which said they were a company who cleared blocked drains.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal