Author Topic: FillingI raised beds..problems..help  (Read 996 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
FillingI raised beds..problems..help
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:09 »
I have a problem..

We have just moved plots in order to get two  by side. The plots are sadly wetter than the one we left which makes for a problem .

I have to have raised beds, because of the wet and my back but..

After building our beds which are a foot high, we have to have soil in them by by  either taking the soil from the paths which will seriously lower the already wet ground so no good, or filling them.

We are not allowed to bring in soil , it is part of the heritage parks rules.

We can bring in peat and we have access to unlimited mature manure.

What would you do?

Mix peat with manure??Plus??

I am at a loss as to know what to do here.

There is a product called C Soil , it is organic top soil, but it comes in small bags and is very expensive.

Anything other than the manure which is on site has to come in bales or bags as a truck cannot get to the plot. We have to move it in a hand trolley from the car park.We get peat in 4 cubic foot hard compressed bales which fluffs out when opened.

On the last plot we put the soil from the paths in the boxes and added peat and manure which worked well but this time we can't do that with the soil so how would a garden be with just peat and manure.

We could probably get some small bags of sand in.

All ideas very welcome.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: FillingI raised beds..problems..help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:32 »
Some things will really like a mix of peat and manure.  Courgettes and squashes will think it is amazing.  Is it possible to mix with the soil below to bring up the level.

I had an area of pure gravel and mixed on a 1:1 basis with manure and planted sweet corn on it and it was great.  The packet said they should be 5ft and they easily reach 7.

The first year on my plot the soil was like concrete so I dug holes and filled with manure and planted something on top.  Potatoes, squashes, sweet peas, all thrived on more or less 100% manure.  Though it was well  rotted.

And I planted some broad beans on a pile of manure as a contamination test and one plant is looking very bonny.  Covered in flowers right now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:11:28 by Digeroo »

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:30:07 »
Could you take some soil from the paths and replace that with bark?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:57:27 »
Jeannine..you options are fine... ;)
But it will be back breaking work...
I would layer all what you have..or mixed it all together(but even harder work)..saving some of the soil on top top few inches..it will all 'rot' down and make lovely growing medium. The soil on top will keep things 'together' as peat when it dries will shrink and/or be blow about when windy. And horse much can dry concrete like clumps.
If you can get some grit that would be lovely..add some in..but don't waist it on bottom layers..use it somewhere half way up.
And to think of it..you could use manure at the bottom of the beds..just to fill the 'bulk' space and start layering the materials from higher up where most of the plant roots are going to be.
For brassicas you will need to lime the surface soil..so if you know what beds you are going use for them..leave the manure only to the bottom.
And remember..the beds don't have to be full up for this year..just fill enough for you to able to work and grow on them and as them 'soil' level is going to drop down a bit anyway during the year..you can then do another filling up later on...and as you have another layer of 'fresh' bedding..you don't have to worry about crop rotation for now... ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:56:31 by goodlife »

noorie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:13 »
We have just finished filling ours two days ago. We took the soil from under where the bed stands and mixed some compost. You can remove the soil down to the pan, this will give you reasonable amount.
Good luck

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:21 »
We can't use any soil from under the boxes or paths as it is very low and the paths are under watyer as we speak even as they are, we have to import whatever goes in them. We filled a few with potting soil in the UK, expensive but we can't do that here as it contains ingredients that are not on site already.

So it is going to have to be just peat and manure. Lime of course is OK.

Then we have to find a way of making the paths better, just soggy sloppy muddy  water!!! Cardboard is going down with bark mulch on for now I think

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:49 »
Oh..it's going to be ok...you are just going to grow some turbo veg with all that good stuff... ;) ;D
Lime and manure is not going to mix well..so I suggest for those beds leave thich layer of peat on top/root zone..but bulk it up underneath with manure..
I would like to see your squashes this year! ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal