Author Topic: Garlic Olive Oil...  (Read 2393 times)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Garlic Olive Oil...
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:23:49 »
Have you made garlic oilive oil?  A couple of months ago I thought I would, to save on the cost of it in the supermarket... I assumed it would be straightforward - peel, cut up garlic cloves and place into a bottle of olive oil...

However... the amount of "gas" given off by the garlic was continuous until a few days ago, it was bubbling up, and I kept having to open the lid to stop it exploding!!!  Is it safe to use?  What is the gas?  ??? It smells delicious, but I am unsure whether it is safe to use  :o

ta
mat

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Re: Garlic Olive Oil...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:56 »
Hi Matt,

Oops I had the same problem throw away, this is what I got the web:

there are safe and unsafe ways to make infused olive oil.  The unsafe way is to put anything in the oil that contains any trace of water or moisture.  That would include garlic, lemon peel, fresh peppers, fresh herbs and spices.  The oil will not support bacterial growth but the water containing herbs will.  Botulism bacteria can grow in this type of environment, even in a sealed bottle. There are several things you can do to avoid this problem.

1. Mix all the ingredients, refrigerate them and use them within a week:
This is the best way if you are using fresh ingredients such as fresh basil, fresh rosemary or garlic. Garlic is ideal for adding to pasta dishes, that you can then top with a little grated dry cheese. Fill a decorative 1-litre bottle with extra virgin olive oil. Add a clean head of garlic (whole if desired), and leave to marinade for a few days. You can also use lemon peel, fresh or dried peppers, ginger, rosemary sprigs, etc. Alternatively, you can use a recipe for Italian salad dressing but cut down on the vinegar or lemon juice.

2. Preserve the added ingredients:
Maybe you have seen garlic or herbs mixed with oil.  The way it is done commercially is to first preserve the water-containing garlic, herb, etc.  with a strong brine or vinegar solution, then put it in the oil.  The vinegar solutions used commercially are up to 4 times stronger than the vinegars you find in the supermarket. You can find them at commercial food supply outlets. Many of the herb mixes have both salt and vinegar which both prevent bacterial growth. Commercial vinaigrettes and sauces also have chemical preservatives not usually available to the home cook.

3. Dry the herbs to remove all water, leaving the essential oils:
This can be done with a food dehydrator or just by leaving in the sun.  After the spices and herbs are dry, you can add them to the olive oil.  Whole sprigs of thyme, rosemary, dried peppers, etc. can decorate the inside of the bottle this way.

4.Press the olives with the spices:
Putting lemon, garlic, etc. in the olive press with the olives is the safest way to flavor oil.  You must have your own olive press (see our First Press). The oils from the added ingredients mingle with the olive oil and the watery part of the spices is removed along with the olive water.

You could add essential spice oils to the olive oil to achieve the same effect.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 13:11:07 »
this is another recipe which is easier:

Ingredients:

•10 large dried cloves garlic, skinned and halved
•1 pint (570 ml) olive oil (preferably extra-virgin) or sunflower oil
Method:

1.Put the garlic into a warm, sterilized jar.
2.Heat the oil to around 180ºC/350ºF and then pour it over the garlic in the bottle/jar and cover tightly.
3.Leave to stand for 1 to 2 weeks and then strain through 2 thicknesses of muslin.
4.Pour into a sterilized bottle and seal with a sterilized cork or screw-top.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Garlic Oil.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 19:11:05 »
One word - botulism. Don't do it!
gone to pot :D

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 21:41:48 »
Thanks; it's been thrown away  :'(

I'll make do in the future with making it fresh.

mat

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 18:16:05 »
I make it all the time.
No one has died of anything yet.
I just put a couple of cloves in a container and cover them with olive oil over night and use the oil the next day.

May be some are leaving it to fester for too long.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal