Author Topic: Hair  (Read 6878 times)

amphibian

Re: Hair
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2005, 22:54:31 »
I thought hair did not decompose.   ??? They have found Egyptian mummies over 2000 years old still bearing a full head of hair !  :o ::)

Perhaps it needs to be treated before putting on the compost heap ?

But the hair on a mummy is in very dry, worm free environment, afterall the rest of the mummy hasn't rotted away either.

Mummification (whether wet or dry) stops hair decompossing, but in the soil it will break down over time. Check out the hair on the Tollund Man, who'd been lying in a peat bog for 2500 years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2005, 01:05:17 »
Hair is denatured protein, and will rot under normal conditions, albeit slowly. Peat bogs and mummies in the Egyptian desert are definitely not 'normal conditions'!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 20:59:54 »
Amphibian thanks for that post, VERY interesting indeed and hard to believe this man has been lying in the bog for that long.  It looks as though he could awaken any time !

:)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

amphibian

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 21:02:27 »
Amphibian thanks for that post, VERY interesting indeed and hard to believe this man has been lying in the bog for that long.  It looks as though he could awaken any time !

:)

He looks very peaceful for a man that was ritually murdered and dumped in a peat bog.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2005, 20:10:21 »
Yes - I remember watching a programme about "his" discovery many years ago.  It is just absolutely amazing and it really looks as though he is asleep.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2005, 22:18:47 »
Perhaps he didn't mind bering sacrificed, if thet's what it was. He may have thought he was going straight to heaven, if they believed in any such place back then.

amphibian

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2005, 22:24:50 »
Perhaps he didn't mind bering sacrificed, if thet's what it was. He may have thought he was going straight to heaven, if they believed in any such place back then.

Quite likely, his last meal was a ceromonial one, as was Lindow Man, a man that died in a very similar fashion, and was fished out by a peat cutter (alas she had been cut in half by a mechanical cutter.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 22:27:06 by amphibian »

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2005, 11:09:32 »
Amphibian - you say his last meal was a ceremonial one.  Do we know what he last consumed before his death??

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2005, 12:38:32 »
I also add hair etc to the compost heap, added the said compost to the raised beds this spring. No apparent problem.

I dug up a large lump of my daughters hair the day before yesterday and although I am anything but sqeamish, it did give me a bit of a turn!!

:o

I'm not sure about the hoover bag thing though, isn't it supposed to be unacceptably high in heavy metals? Or am I thinking of something else?

Rosie

amphibian

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2005, 19:31:39 »
Amphibian - you say his last meal was a ceremonial one.  Do we know what he last consumed before his death??

Yes, the bog people, sufficiently preserved to tell, had enjoyed a last meal of a soup containing unusual seeds.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2005, 19:40:53 »
Amphibian - thank you for that additional information.  I am very interested in the subject.  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal