Author Topic: Unusual beans  (Read 3310 times)

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
Unusual beans
« on: April 15, 2011, 16:52:40 »
I'm on the lookout for some unusually coloured beans to grow as something fun to do and fool the kids into thinking they are magic beans.  Basically, the more colourful and tartrazine/quinoline yellow, blue smartie adhd inducing looking they are, the better!  I have some pea beans to start off and will get some red speckled borlotti/pinto beans but they are the best I can find so far.

Any suggestions?

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: Unusual beans
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 17:59:57 »
Ying/yang beans are fun - black and white - http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/dwarf-french-bean-yin-yang-seeds-pid1932.html (sold in other places too!) a little different to pea beans, which tend to be slightly redder and not as well marked

anasazi beans... these are as above, but a clear red and white.  you may need to search for these.  I grew some from seed kindly sent to me from someone on A4L many years ago when I had an allotment... unfortuantely I moved, and I am not sure my saved stock is still viable, though i will try some this year.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 18:23:18 »
Is it coloured bean seeds or pods that you're looking for Uncle F?

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 19:48:00 »
More the beans themselves rather than the pods, Granny.
A purple/blueish bean would be great if I could find one, rather than just purple pods.

I've seen ying yangs and will check out anasazi

Cheers  :)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 19:51:06 »
beansandherbs.co.uk has some great ones like Rattlesnake or Birds Egg Horticultural.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 23:39:02 »
Blue  and a few more for you

The one I like is the pebble bean

You can fool the kids by planting them.. they grow all different colours whatever colour they plant..magic!! there are all differnt coloured bean seeds on the same plant

Left to right.. Coco, Jacobs cattle,Dapple, Papa di Rola Pebble

Try               www.uharvest.ca            Ireland Annie for yellow
XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 23:47:39 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 23:53:00 »
Mustn't forget this one Tigers Eye
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:12:44 »
WOWEE!!!!!!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 18:15:48 »
Trail of Tears for small black beans. Black Magic for big black ones.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 19:07:45 »
Jeannine, those Tiger's Eye beans are amazing!! Are they climbers? Does anyone know of a suppliers in the UK?

Thanks Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 23:06:08 »
Box is a marroon climbing yin-yang, Egyptian pea-bean is a pinkish climbing yin-yang, needs a longer cooking period than some. My personal faavourites are Giganda, a massive butterbean on a huge climbing plant, Ernie's Big-eye, a big red-white speckled kidney bean with a creamy, almost peanut taste when cooked, very early and dwarf, and Mennonite stripe, big bean in massive pod, early, tastes great, not stunningly productive.....Also have a look at Blue Lake.... best known as a green bean but a fantastically productive as a canellini and they cook quickly too, always a plus in a dried bean.... If   you're UK I can let you have any/all of those for an SAE (big letter), PM me if you want....
I've got Cherokee ToT, Soldier, San Antonio, several Rose beans, yin-yang and Marvel of Venice too....

chrisc

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 09:33:27 »
unfortuantely I moved, and I am not sure my saved stock is still viable, though i will try some this year.
Matt.
They are good for five years and even out to 10 you will still get some germination. Like Chris I have a selection of HSL beans too...  :)
They are almost as addictive as tomatoes..  :-X

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:00 »
Absolutely - I had 96 types, then after another swap session am definitely over 100 - will have a count once all my sowings have germinated.

Most recent listing is here:
http://linearlegume.blogspot.com/2010/12/bean-project-2010-and-beyond_16.html

Much more addictive than toms; and all mine get saved for the dried beans rather than used as green ones.....

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 17:24:55 »
I imagine this might be more of a 'recipe' question - but what do you do with the beans? I only really eat the green ones so would be interested to know how people use them (or do you save them for the pretty patterns?!)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 17:43:43 »
I imagine this might be more of a 'recipe' question - but what do you do with the beans? I only really eat the green ones so would be interested to know how people use them (or do you save them for the pretty patterns?!)

chilis, stews, curries, beans and rice, soups; anything really....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 19:55:43 »
I think most of the ones I mentioned would be available in the UK from other folk, I would pop a request naming a specific one in the swap section also a great many of the US seed suppliers will send to the UK, postage is usually decent . When I lived over there I could get pretty much everything I wanted if I googled a bit and bought where ever I could.

XX Jeannine

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 00:19:13 »
Brilliant! Just the kind of thing I've been looking for guys!

Now to find a site that will ship to the UK...

A few seeds would be great Chris, I'll send you a PM  8)

Cheers,
Lee

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal