Author Topic: parsnip  (Read 2550 times)

Leadlotus

• Not So New ...
  • Love Gardening- Caravaning- Photography
parsnip
« on: November 13, 2011, 18:46:04 »
I just lifted my parsnips and i have found brown "rust spots"on them can anyone let me know what this is? Do i have to bin them or can i just cut it off.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: parsnip
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 19:06:02 »
It's canker, and you just cut it off.

Leadlotus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 19:09:59 »
Thanks for your reply, does this come from the soil, or is it something im doing wrong whilst growing them? Theres a pic in my gallery but im not sure how to post it

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 20:42:49 »
I have bits I cut off every year but they are not as bad as the one in your piccie, but you just have to cut a bit more off, no problem.    :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 21:12:22 »
I rarely pull a parsnip that is fully canker free.   ::)           Taste fine all the same.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 21:33:47 »
It's not something you do; we all get it. Apparently it's a fungus, and it's made worse by poor darinage, which is a problem I have for much of the year. There are resistant varieties.

http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/parsnip-canker-153659.pdf

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 19:14:45 »
I always thought growing parsnips was a doddle ;) never had any probs. Yesterday I dug up half a dozen cankered rubbish from the edge of the plot which had been covered by the peas. I cut out the brown bits, binned the worst and now I next year I shall give them a bit more loving care and attention. Suspect they got hosed this year which they normally don't. So they'll stay dry next year....... and given a good dose of bonemeal like the carrots which are the best ever ::)

Leadlotus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:46:32 »
Hi Folks
Thanks for all the replies, the plot the parsnips were in is on a slope, however i had been using the hose on the gardens a lot this year. So next year i think i will hold back on the watering and i will try the bonemeal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal