Author Topic: the sowing thread  (Read 16285 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: the sowing thread
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005, 18:46:49 »
Okay..........had a bliltz.......nicotiana (2 var), petunias, pansys, salpaglosis, silybum, phormiums, marigolds, basil (2 var), bee balm, chives, rue, lupins, larkspur,,,,,what else...maybe that was it.  Watered my squashes with a watering can from above instead of below as I normally do, and within minutes they were all breaking the surface.  Couldn't believe my eyes!

MUST get some more compost.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 19:00:37 »
EJ   Do you buy your seed compost by the articulated truck load?  ;D  if there's ever a world shortage we'll know where it's all gone!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 19:34:56 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2005, 23:17:10 »
hehehe Wardy.  B&Q monster bales.

Forgot Salvias, cleomes, cerinthes and astrantia.  ::)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 23:08:56 »
EJ - let me know how you get on with astrantia will you?  I thought I had one from a sale last year but can't find it at the mo.  It will probably pop up shortly somewhere.  That's the trouble with me I never know where I put stuff  :)
So if I can't find it I'd like to know if they're easy from seed. 

Ta

Wardy

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005, 23:16:27 »
ok, can i just say that my basil which i sowed on sunday night (!!!) has started coming up. quick or what?? also, the other (surface sown) seeds are starting to burst open and reveal teeny weeny green shoots (celery, celeriac, and a couple of herbs)

this is exciting stuff.
i try not to hover over them too much, just just ignore them, really. dont want to stiffle them in their development and make them die :o

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2005, 09:53:43 »
Most of the seeds I sowed last week are coming up. The only ones that haven't are: Red Piper peas, Sugar Ann peas, pennyroyal, Italian Parsley, Golden Sunrise tomato. That is indoors. None of the things I sowed in the mini greenhouse have germinated yet. (but that's to be expected, I suppose!)
gone to pot :D

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2005, 21:59:47 »
tomatoes shot up on thursday night (24th march) - i am amazed. had thought that toms are a difficult seed to get going but appearantly not :)

and the first seeds on my allotment are the radishes, sowed 13.3, must have come up three days ago, maybe)
this is exciting stuff

svea

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2005, 17:15:12 »
Some of my sweetcorn are up, lettuce are up, one tray of toms that's been in the airing cupboard are up, and I think a few leeks have poked their heads up too. ;D ;D

Today I have sown some more sweet peas, cucumber, peppers, and one variety of my aussie pumpkins - Queensland Blue.

Nothing from the asparagus yet  :-\
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2005, 18:17:51 »
EJ - do you find cleome difficult to germinate? I never get better than about 30%, despite making sure of a sharp temperature dip at night.  Any tips?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2005, 23:01:46 »
hmmmm Simon, well, this is the first time I have sown them from seed, thanks to Ms Pinks, and the lot have come up! They are in modules, but just scattered, not individually sown, and were watered and have been happily residing in my greenhouse which is heated by night, but only just to keep the frost off.  Have a packed tray full so tomorrow, Emma will be pr*cking out seedlings!

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2005, 16:58:02 »
Thanks EJ.  :D

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2005, 19:39:24 »
Very first seeds sown on the new plot today!  Parsnips.

By God they'd better thrive - hammering a bit of pipe in 15 inches, removing the soil and replacing with sand/soil (50:50 mix);  took nearly 2 hours to sow 5 short rows!

Woe betide any other seed that thinks it's gettng that kind of treatment!

But it is a good feeling to have the first seeds in :)

All best - Gavin

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2005, 09:58:21 »
This weekend I pricked out: tomatoes (about 35-40 plants), basil (20-odd plants), other herbs, french beans (hmm - by the size of them I think I sowed them too early), broad beans and various hardy peas.

And then I sowed: courgette (two types), squash (three types), more herbs, some marigolds, asparagus. (maybe something else, I can't remember).

I've now got both south-facing windowsills full, plus the ironing board is covered, and I've had to move the lettuces on top of the fridge. Next time I sow or prick out anything, I'm going to have to harden off my peas. eek.

Not even started on the ornamentals yet!

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2005, 11:31:30 »
Ha ha Aqui  - so that's what the ironing board is for!!!

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2005, 21:53:56 »

sowed half row of spring onions outside
garlic is up (probably been for a few days). first sowing of spring onions (13.3) reluctantly showing. lambs lettuce and spinach more so - none of them overwhelming at all!

sowed brassicas 27th march - all up within three days.
hmm, what next? need to consult the books, havent a clue what i should be doing next :)

svea

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2005, 23:22:58 »
Mixed a packet of rocket with some mixed lettuce and sowed them outdoors on the lotty today.  Covered with fleece.  Fingers crossed the slugs don't get em or rabbits or pigeons or frost  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2005, 22:14:06 »
OK finaly starting to catch up with things:

Today sown or planted:

Lettuce (planted out)
Corn salad
Rocket
Raddish
Beetroot
Peas
Maincrop potatoes planted out

Prepared to sow undercover
2nd batch of tomatoes
Basil
Nicotiana
Half hardy asters
Morning glory (put into soak)

Phew! Still loads to do though!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2005, 09:38:51 »
This weekend I sowed/planted OUTSIDE!!!

bed 2 had nine spuds and six broad bean plants. Bed 1 had a square of carrots, one of parsnip and radish and one of pickling onions. Seems like something has already germinated in the carrot and radish patches - although I bet they're weeds!

Moggle - I noticed last night that some of my asparagus has finally germinated! It's about three or four weeks since I sowed it. I'd given up on them and left them on the floor for a week or so and haven't watered them!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2005, 10:50:41 »
Brill Aqui    Let us know how they develop  :)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2005, 11:18:43 »
Sowed another load of toms this weekend, and some chillis and yellow peppers.
Cabbages, and brussel sprouts that I sowed last weekend are up already!

Moggle - I noticed last night that some of my asparagus has finally germinated! It's about three or four weeks since I sowed it. I'd given up on them and left them on the floor for a week or so and haven't watered them!

Have yours been inside or outside Aqui? If I don't get something soon, I am going to ask for a replacement!!

Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal