Author Topic: i love a bargain dont you  (Read 2217 times)

brown thumb

• Hectare
i love a bargain dont you
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:36:59 »
passing the local garden centre yesterday all bedding plants half price until to day nearly missed it so called in to day and i got 6 ivy leafed geraniums 6 verbena and 4 petunias all 50p each plus 32 lobelias £2 atray thats my hanging baskets sorted wasnt going to any as iam in the middle of selling up  last year i did 10 baskets  and 15 wall hangers all grown by me so ive cut down this year

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
Re: i love a bargain dont you
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:01 »
Ooh me too. 

This week I have just qualified for the 'old folks' gardening club card at the local garden centre and bought nearly £40 worth of seeds half price!

This morning at the car boot, I picked up 20+ pots  8" - !2" for £2, a big bag of ball pool balls to go on top of canes to drag netting across for 50p and a wire hanging basket to use upside down to protect my scattering of lettuce seedlings from the birds for 20p..

For reduced bedding plants, I used to go to B&Q after a hot bank holiday and they had half killed everything.  Those really useful polystyrene module trays of bedding plants used to be sold off for pennies, literally.  Sometimes only  a couple around the edge had dried out completely, the rest would revive with a little tlc and the modules were worth the pennies anyway.

What else have we all bought for pennies recently?

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:40:31 »
Managed to get a big bag full of nice fat primulas from the 'oops we've nearly killed it' trolley at the local Morrisons the other day. 50p each. Will be fine once they're in the ground & growing. Have had some good bargains from those trolleys over the years. People are so short sighted when it comes to perennials. As soon as things have finished flowering they're sold off stupidly cheap. Does no-one else realise that they flower again next year  ::)

Actually thinking about it, I'm glad they don't realise otherwise I wouldn't get as many cheap plants  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 14:16:09 »
I got several packets of seeds half price and then found several nice large module trays in the pots recycling and quite a few nice 1 lts pots for my strawberries.  So came straight home and sowed some of the seeds.  A week later I have a row of little winter cabbage seedlings.   Sowed carrots, cabbage, lavender, daisies and calabrese only a few days after the end June so hope most will be ok.

Someone has thrown out a huge pile of fat hen into the hedge so I filled up my compost bin. 

Got a dalhia recently for 30p and it it now covered with tiny little pink pompoms.  Never seen anything quite like it. 

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 14:47:35 »
....................... and then found several nice large module trays in the pots recycling

blimey, I forgot that I too picked up a few module trays when I bought my seeds.  They were the deep 20's which are really strong and don't flex when you pick them up.  'Free' is always a bargain!

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 16:38:02 »
first week of may the local £ shop was selling their packs of 3 dahlias at 2 for £1 there was4 in one bag so had 7 dahlia plants for a £1  not bad  and theyve made good size plants now not flowering yet but hopefully soon

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal