Author Topic: Pushpesh Pant  (Read 1697 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Pushpesh Pant
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:31:39 »
As an impulse buy, I've just picked up a recipe book called simply "India" by the wonderfully-named Pushpesh Pant.

It's a compendium of well over 1000 Indian recipes arranged primarily by type of dish, and secondarily by main ingredient, with an indication of the regional source of each recipe. It doesn't explain much about the techniques of Indian cooking, so it's a compendium for the enthusiast rather than an introductory primer, but my goodness, is it comprehensive. Especially for veggies. I've just counted 30 main dishes for aloo.

If you look up the reviews of the book on-line, a number of people have commented that there are misprints and omissions. This is true, but most of them are fairly trivial. If you're told to prepare a paste for the meat, but the method goes straight on to tell you to leave the meat to marinate for 2 hours, it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work out that it'd be a smart move to rub the paste onto the meat first.

And those recipes that I know and that I've checked look correct, so it's by no means riddled with errors. I'll report back in due course when we've tried out a few new recipes.

£15.99 at Costco, almost half the recommended price of £30.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Pushpesh Pant
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 16:56:55 »
sounds tempting! I love Indian cookery, and am always looking out for different authors etc.
I often judge an Indian cookery book by the number of Dal/Chana recipes  ;D
I see it has lots of recipes for pickles, which I'm always on the look out for.....

Let us know how you get on  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal