Author Topic: Hellebore seedlings advise please  (Read 1536 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Hellebore seedlings advise please
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:31 »
I have some seedlings appearing can anyone please tell me at which point is it the best time to pot on or move them

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Hellebore seedlings advise please
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:17:47 »
We have moved ours and they were in their second year but they might be ok sooner. Perhaps someone else will know more about them
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:49 »
Actually you have reassured me that they can wait.  There are lots so I was rather worried they were too crowded, but it is very dry here so not good time to move things.    I thought they were just seeds and nearly hoed them off until I took a closer look.  They have two leaves at the moment. 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:17:32 »
Either move them as soon as they germinate or wait until they have a good established root system. They are funny things and resent disturbance at the wrong stage of growth. They actually (according to the books) make most root growth in Autumn.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:17 »
I presume mine germinated in the autumn since they now have one or two true little leaves above the cotyledons.   I did not notice them.  I have moved a couple already since they were under the leaves of the mother plant.   It sounds as if it would be a good plan to move them at the start of the autumn so they have a good time to grow some more roots, and also leave room for the next batch.  Only a small percentage have the red stems of the mother plant, so I am hoping I can spot the deep coloured ones.

It is a very nice plant the flowers are very  much upwards rather than the normal dropping so I have high hopes for it children.     I was given it as a seedling.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 18:08:56 »
I leave mine till the end of the year, then pot them on, unless they're obviously crowded, then plant them out ofter two years. I'm just taking stock of what I lost in the cold spell; a lot of Paeonies, some Hellebores, some Trilliums (I think; they may yet be late), and a kitchen sink full of Lilium regale.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal