Author Topic: Larkspur  (Read 1514 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Larkspur
« on: April 08, 2011, 20:11:22 »
I grew some from seed last year and most made it through the winter :D  What next? do I nip out the tops or leave them to grow?  I have never grown these from seed before - help............

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Larkspur
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 18:42:52 »
I'm still dithering. To pinch out or not?  Someone out there must know - help please

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 20:01:25 »
I couldn't say, but if you do decide to pinch it out make sure you wash your hands well as larkspur is deadly poisonous and the alkaloids will even absorb through the skin.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 21:28:52 »
Well that got me googling :o

No need to pinch out - but I do need to keep away from cattle (don't think that will be a problem) as it can kill them in hours.  I think I will plant them at the allotment rather than the garden as our Labrador has been known to munch plants to the ground.

Thanks Unwashed.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 22:18:13 »
Gosh I didn't know larkspur was deadly! We inherited a lovely deep blue form that self-sowed every year in our garden in Colchester, with labrador and toddlers running around!! Anyway, we (except of course dog long dead at a ripe old age not from larkspur poisoning) are alive and well to this day.

I did't pinch out they branch naturally.  They might need a small stake to stop them falling over, and deadheading (or picking) keeps them going well. The petals also dry well for pot-pourri, no scent but lovely colour.

I love larkspur. Haven't managed to establish it self-sowing here, perhaps drier lighter soil suits it better?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal