Author Topic: Yellow Furry Hog and Scotia Toms  (Read 6212 times)

aj

• Hectare
Yellow Furry Hog and Scotia Toms
« on: April 05, 2011, 21:32:10 »
As part of the seed saving circle I received some of both of these toms.

The Yellow Furry Hogs all seem to have the same 'pepper leaf' shaped leaf; whereas some of the Scotias have normal tomato type leave but some have the exact same leaf as the Yellow Furry Hogs.

Obviously, it's noticeable because of the leaf shape - but has anyone else sowed these from the circle last year? And are you getting the same leaf shapes?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Yellow Furry Hog and Scotia Toms
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 22:25:58 »
I grew Scotia and Yellow Furry Hog last year, from memory Scotia is a bush variety with regular leaves. I know we had Silach as I remember bagging them up for Ruud, but I didn't think we had Scotia in the circle? Unless I slipped up big time and added some by mistake  :o

YFH is a cordon with I think a regular leaf too,but I'll go and have a look at mine in the morning, although I think I used my seed and not from the circle, so may not be much help.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 23:42:56 »
There seems to be confusion about the name either YFG or FYH, but IDIG forum information and Tatiana's tomato base information agree that this tomato is regular leafed, not potato leafed.  Not quite sure what pepper leafed is, but guess round with a point and not very indented.  Scotia was not in my circle bag either.  Scotia is regular leafed also according to Tatiana's.  Will check tomorrow when it is light what my Circle Hogs are looking like, but pretty sure they are regular leafed.

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:20 »
I cant speak for scotia as that wasn't in my bag, but re the YFH  the plant I have growing looks like a potato leaf to me; actually, pepper leaf is a good description, given what it looked like at the weekend.

I would never rule out my own human error normally, as I sow into module trays which - personally speaking - I find a bit fiddly sometimes, but this plant seemed to fit the "late" description as it was one of the slower developers, so I obviously overlooked the leaves! :)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:00:44 »
Cheers all - I'll take a photo in a bit of a line of the furry hogs and a line of the scotias....I definitely got some scotias in the circle as I had a bag of the circle ones in my box, and a bag of them in the schools box [as donated by the lovely Jayb].

I've got the flu at the mo so going out and lining up plants and taking photos is not number one on my list - perhaps by 11 I'll have summoned up enough energy.

I did look onlike at furry hogs and couldn't see a pic of the leaves so couldn't make the connection there....

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:34 »
Still only seed leaves here,I am guessing you have taken a peek at Dave's Garden-sorry links like most things are beyond me!
Although there are no pictures of leaves it does say " regular" but in a comment it also talks about it's crosses that include the potato leaf types -so could get interesting..............

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:24 »
 Will check tomorrow when it is light what my Circle Hogs are looking like, but pretty sure they are regular leafed.

Just as well to check rather than try and remember - mine are definitely potato leafed (pepper leafed) and not regular leafed.  Nice strong plants.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:09:15 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:13 »
I've got the flu at the mo so going out and lining up plants and taking photos is not number one on my list - perhaps by 11 I'll have summoned up enough energy.

Hope you feel better soon. x

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:29:06 »

Hope you feel better soon. x

Thanks! Will be braving the greenhouse to take photos shortly.......

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:33 »
I've had to put the photos on my blog as I haven't taken the relevant 'how to' put a gallery up on here...it kept saying I had to pick a category from no options.....anyhoodles

http://linearlegume.blogspot.com/

My main concern is - has the furry hog cross-fertilised with the original scotias or just a few seeds got mixed up [which I can't see to be honest, as a seedsmith myself, it's quite hard to do unless you lose it for a while or the other half mixes drying trays up]....

And if it has cross-fertilised, do we need to be concerned about this happening with this year's furries?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:38:13 »
I've had to put the photos on my blog as I haven't taken the relevant 'how to' put a gallery up on here...it kept saying I had to pick a category from no options.....anyhoodles

http://linearlegume.blogspot.com/

My main concern is - has the furry hog cross-fertilised with the original scotias or just a few seeds got mixed up [which I can't see to be honest, as a seedsmith myself, it's quite hard to do unless you lose it for a while or the other half mixes drying trays up]....

And if it has cross-fertilised, do we need to be concerned about this happening with this year's furries?
I share your concern, but can't comment on the Scotia.  If we have furry hogs with the wrong type of leaves, they may not be hogs at all.  Simple mix-up that could have happened several years and several seed donors ago.  

If they should be (as several websites say)  regular leafed, there is some question mark if we all see potato leaves.  PL is a recessive trait and in the first generation after a cross the dominant appearance will show (RL) and not the recessive (PL).  If a cross had happened it would have been further back in time.   Or the breeder bred both versions.

In both cases we need to wait and compare the end result.  Human error does happen.  It just means not passing on any seeds with that name until we are sure the variety is correct.  

We could ask Wild Boar Farms what the hogs should be like.   And our seed donor of course.

There is one other explanation - there are spontaneous mutations from RL to PL if tomatoes are grown under very different conditions.  And who knows, this may indeed have happened to the hogs we have that originated from balmy California.  They would be identical in any other way.  This is pretty rare, but such mutations can happen.   If all our fruit look identical and exactly like photos on the web, this could have happened.

I hope my writing is making sense.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:54:40 by galina »

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 13:13:48 »
Well I do wish I'd taken in a bit more in those genetics lectures.  This is fascinating stuff though, I was following- I sort of thought I was  - till the bit about asking about the Hogs at Wild Boar Farm!!?  :D :-[

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 13:32:54 »
Well I do wish I'd taken in a bit more in those genetics lectures.  This is fascinating stuff though, I was following- I sort of thought I was  - till the bit about asking about the Hogs at Wild Boar Farm!!?  :D :-[

Yellow Furry Hog is a fairly modern tomato and was bred by the owner of Wild Boar Farms Brad Gates.
http://www.wildboarfarms.com/index.html

Unfortunately they are not on their seed list this year, this is why we would need to ask.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 14:08:02 »
Cheers chuck - email duly sent...I'll copy in any response I get.

Anyone else sown these and have any true leaves yet? G'won - share your leaf shape with me - you know you wanna.  :-*

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 14:57:29 »
Hope you feel better soon AJ, a bit harsh having flu again  :(

Interestingly my little YFH is a potato leaf, I’m fairly sure it is from seed I saved in 2010 which originally came via a seed swap. A shame I can’t remember the leaf type that grew last year. Also I’ve misplaced some growing notes from last year so no help there.  I do remember it being tasty, yellow with faint stripes!

An intresting one Galina, I tend to think the name Yellow Furry Hog is most likely as both Tatiana and Baker Creek have it listed as such. From the little I know it is one of Brad Gates creations and Baker Creek sent it out as a freebie a couple of years ago, they also currently have it listed in their catalogue.  I don’t know for another source.

I've had a think and the seeds (from Ruud) sent out for the circle will all have a typed name within the little bag the seeds are in. Each variety was bagged separately and the table wiped down between varieties. I’m fairly certain the seed you received are the seeds I was sent.  Perhaps, when you are feeling a little better, you could check the seeds from the circle bag to see if it has a typed or hand written label. I can’t think how Scotia would have been added instead of Silach, I have some spare ones here if you would like me to send them on to you.

I saved the Scotia seeds last year which I sent you for the schools, the blossoms for these were not bagged. They were defo a bush variety, I’ll have a look through my pictures and see if I have one of Scotia. Looking at your picture it looks most likely you have 2 types on the go so it would seem the naughty plants were crossed, I grew several potato leaf varieties.  Gosh, wonder what will develop,   ;D I’m going to have to sow some now just to see.

I think I still have a spare pack of YFH from the circle I’ll set some to germinate and see if they are all potato leaf type, I’ll do some of mine too, be nice to know.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 16:04:13 »
I've just me bags out and can only find one Scotia.....but of course I do have seeds everywhere.

::)

I'm not worried about having more seeds [honest] - I'm more trying to work out whether the seeds would have got mixed up, which is sounds as if they definitely wouldn't have....or if anyone else has the same mix of scotias!

I agree, if it isn't a seed mix up as they are from completely different sources then hurrah!!! It's very obvious this year as the YFHs are growing vigorously, even more so that any others......and the 'pepper leaf scotias' are also growing at the same rate. I'm not calling it potato leaf as sorry, it's a pepper leaf!

We'll have to wait and see what occurs.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:50 »
I'll sow a pot of Scotias and let you know how they pan out.

On the Furry Hog theme;
I made a mistake Baker Creek list their seeds as Furry Yellow Hog.
I'm also growing Red Furry Boar this year (although they don't seem very furry the momment) to see how they compare, leaves are regular type. This ones name again seems to interchange between Red Furry Boar and Furry Red Boar?!

Wild Boar Farms list some of their seeds through Local Harvest and have RFB and Yellow Furry Boar listed, I wonder if this is YFH. Hopefully AJ will get a reply to her email.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:34:03 »

Wild Boar Farms list some of their seeds through Local Harvest and have RFB and Yellow Furry Boar listed, I wonder if this is YFH. Hopefully AJ will get a reply to her email.

That is very interesting.  The plot thickens :) - Local Harvest list Yellow Furry Boar and say that this variety is potato leafed!  Are we by any chance growing boars and not hogs?

Yes I too hope all will be made clear and aj will get a reply soon.
http://www.localharvest.org/rare-tomato-seeds-yellow-furry-boar-C7800
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:43:34 by galina »

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 16:08:56 »
Bang.

That was my brain going.

I can't wait to get some flippin fruit from these!

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 16:26:44 »
Bang.

That was my brain going.

I can't wait to get some flippin fruit from these!

And breathe AJ, breathe  ;)  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal