Author Topic: Chilli bacon and courgette pasta  (Read 1497 times)

Robert_S

• Not So New ...
Chilli bacon and courgette pasta
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:29:08 »
Might help you get rid of some of those courgettes, and it is very tasty too.  I can't claim to have invented it, but I am sure it has transmogrified a bit over the last few years I have been making it.

Ingredients (serves 2)

2 medium courgettes
    2-3 rashers smoked bacon
    1-2 cloves garlic
    1 chilli (at least!)
    1/3 jar sun dried tomato pesto (Sacla tends to be nicer than the supermarket own brands)
    200g fusilli or other pasta
    handful of cherry tomatoes each
    Parmesan or other cheese for garnish
    Olive oil

Method:

Fry bacon until getting a bit crispy in a large wok or similar.
    Remove bacon from pan (and the fat if you are being healthy) and cut into little pieces.
    Put the pasta on the boil at this point.
    Fry chopped up chilli in the pan for a minute, then add the chopped up garlic and fry that until starting to colour slightly.
    Add sliced courgettes and some olive oil and fry with the chillies and garlic until starting to go soft. Move it around so the garlic doesn’t burn.
    Hopefully the pasta should be ready about now, so add the cherry tomatoes (halved) to the pan, the pasta (with a little bit of the water so it's not too dry) and about a third of a jar of the pesto.
    Stir it all together over low heat until tomatoes are softening slightly, then serve with grated parmesan or other cheese and olive oil.

We generally have this once a week in courgette season, and haven't got bored with it yet. You don't have to have the cherry tomatoes, but it does give the dish a nice lift as long as the halves are still in one piece and not cooked to mush.

pumkinlover

Re: Chilli bacon and courgette pasta
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:37 »
Looks nice- but you must like your chilli ;)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 13:12:31 »
Sounds yummy... :)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 20:02:03 »
Robert, you are a hero.  Am off to make this for tea. ;D

anything