Author Topic: Asparagus Advice Please  (Read 1736 times)

Strawberrygirl

• Quarter Acre
  • Waiting for the sun....
Asparagus Advice Please
« on: April 08, 2011, 21:45:26 »
I put an aspargus crown in a pot last year, i got 1 spindly spear that i let go to seed.  This year I have 1 very nice looking spear, which is now 16" tall!  But just the one.  Is it correct that i have to leave it again this year?  When will it start to produce more than one spear and when can we eat them?  Also, should i leave it in the pot again this year, or transfer into my plot at the end of the season?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Asparagus Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 23:14:52 »
It needs to be in the ground to get bigger..... they do take a few years to get going though....

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 23:33:34 »
get it in the ground NOW
You couldn't make it up!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 22:11:27 »
Give it a really nice spot without weeds and plenty of feed. being a seaside plant I also give mine seaweed meal along with manure and chicken pellets.. Its now 3 years since I planted 10 crowns and we ate a bit last year.
I cannot believe the amount of spears this year-we've has 3 or 4 meals already ;D. Be patient, feed your  crown [in the ground] and if you can find room find it some mates. One won't give much of a meal...

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 22:23:17 »
I put my asparagus in about six years ago, left it for two years without picking and had a couple of pickings in the third year. Last year was better and this year I have had two meals from it. It has never been earlier than this and I really thought with such a cold winter I would have been in luck if it survived as I live in the North of
England. You have to be patient with asparagus but it well worth the effort. I also agree that you must buy more.
Slugs can play havoc at this time of year as the soil warms up so use slug pellets or your own favourite slug catching strategy.

Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 22:34:27 »
I planted six crowns last year and they did sprout but only produced thin ferny stuff.  Nothing has appeared at all yet this spring.  Should I be concerned?

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 16:26:20 »
I planted six crowns last year and they did sprout but only produced thin ferny stuff.  Nothing has appeared at all yet this spring.  Should I be concerned?

Am asking this again!

Strawberrygirl

• Quarter Acre
  • Waiting for the sun....
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 17:48:40 »
Ok have now replanted the "spear" which is now about 20" in height, I also can see another one just about through the soil, looking very healthy, i might even try that one as it's the second year.  I have also planted 3 more crowns (upside down the first time lol) .

We live in the South so have had some very warm temperatures this past week so i am sure that is why my asparagus is growing well, i did think it was quite early so that is maybe why?

GwynnetheMary, mine was only thin ferny stuff last year, so hopefully you'll see some signs soon :)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 17:58:05 »

GwynnetheMary, mine was only thin ferny stuff last year, so hopefully you'll see some signs soon :)

Thanks Strawberrygirl!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 07:27:54 »
Gwyneth - me too. Nothing so far this year. I only had 3 crowns and a fox dug up one of them, so I know that's dead now anyway. The two that are left are doing absolutely nothing. I'm a lot further south than you too.

Worried now!
gone to pot :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:07:52 »
We cut and ate our first yesterday!  :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:02:52 »

We too started an asparagus bed last year, with similar results.  Of the 14 crowns, 10 seem to have survived, so there's a bit of an attrition rate over the first winter.  But the survivors are now showing shoots at least 3 inches high.  A neigbouring plot with a well established bed is also well up.

I'm not sure whether the variety has anything to do with the time at which it starts to show, but I think I would be getting concerned if we'd seen nothing at all yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal