Author Topic: Newbies lose the plot  (Read 14595 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Newbies lose the plot
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 23:46:39 »
Like the idea of a quiz , also a test digging session , some starters think the spade is just for shoveling...

I have had a heart attack and bowel cancer, i dont do digging, i use all petrol tools if i can, eg rotavator, electric barrel pump to water plot with a hose so i dont hump water about, , . So i wouldn't be entitled to a plot by you criteria, since i dont do hard work....

.... I was thinking along similar lines...... :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 09:27:56 »
And us  :-X

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:10 »
With reference to the last few comments, lets not forget that allotments are for everyone to enjoy. They should never just become an enclave of bad-tempered old blokes guarding their veggies from the outside world as if they were the Crown bluddy Jewels...
I don't 'dig' either, but between me and my family we haved managed to plant up almost the whole of a new allotment. We tasted the first Strawberries yesterday, and the first new potatoes will come out this week. If fact, thinking about it, those Strawberries we planted last Autumn are the first crop to come from the allotments. :)

'Nufff said. ;)

"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:51 »
It's taken me 4 years to get the hang of everything! And still, some things go horribly wrong.
You have ups and downs and you are working with a living thing which is rewarding but hard and frustrating sometimes. You get ill and can't work your plot, or you have a set time to do it which falls through because of bad weather, circumstances etc. SO sometimes it does get away from you. That is when it is good if your fellow siteholders give you a hand! or at least encourage you, instead of sniping and trying to get you to give up your plot! 
Once in a period fo heavy rain. I just couldnt manage the weeds and grass on my paths and edges, and because that was so much of a problem I wasn't planting and caring for veg. Some neighbours were very kind and really helped me by cutting my grass down and scooping up some of the edges. It was a small job for several people but one which was just getting on top of me. That really helped me no end and the next year was more successful for me.
So maybe we need to also be kind to newbies and advise them on how to care for edges, paths etc, which tend to be hard jobs! and also show them how to garden "easier" - covering and mulching for example. I learnt all that the hard way but now I notice some neighbours have copied me! So maybe I am no longer in the newbie category  ;D ;D ;D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 14:56:15 »
I think that's perfectly acceptable antipodes. Would do the same for someone who has at least made an effort.

My neighbour has planted 2 1/4 rows of spuds and that's the size of her work. HEr plot is covered in weeds that were left last year and also this years seeded ones. I've only met her once up there and she's a stranger to the other plot holders too. This is her second year of paying rent but doing nothing. I think enough is enough in this situation
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2011, 19:52:22 »
My wife and i took on a plot about 7 weeks ago about 60 foot in length by 12 foot wide
It had not been touched for over two years because the previous tenant had paid in advance for it and only when he decided not to carry on that we were offered it.

The first few weeks we cleared and dug and planted about half of it in between our shift work , This week i decided to tackle the bottom half only to find everyone had been using it as a dump -- so far i have dug a trench 4 feet deep the width of the plot by 2 foot wide and so far i have dug up 9 carpets and countless plastic bags as well as 3 wheel jacks .

I can fully understand why people give up when this kind of thing happens but i want this plot to work and am willing to keep going however sometimes i look at what i have left to do and think sod it why should i clear it only for some one else to benefit if we ever gave up .

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2011, 21:04:12 »
My wife and i took on a plot about 7 weeks ago about 60 foot in length by 12 foot wide
It had not been touched for over two years because the previous tenant had paid in advance for it and only when he decided not to carry on that we were offered it.

The first few weeks we cleared and dug and planted about half of it in between our shift work , This week i decided to tackle the bottom half only to find everyone had been using it as a dump -- so far i have dug a trench 4 feet deep the width of the plot by 2 foot wide and so far i have dug up 9 carpets and countless plastic bags as well as 3 wheel jacks .

I can fully understand why people give up when this kind of thing happens but i want this plot to work and am willing to keep going however sometimes i look at what i have left to do and think sod it why should i clear it only for some one else to benefit if we ever gave up .

Invest in a large lump of silage sheet, thick black plastic that farmers use, you can get it on ebay. Cover the entire plot now, until next spring By that time virtually everything will be dead, and a lot easier to dig and clear. Uncover small sections at a time, dig, riddle out the couch grass and tap roots, cover back up.  By next May you'll a a fantastic plot  of ground, weed free, which has accumulated nutrients as if it had laid fallow.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 21:33:59 »
welcome to A4A keejaay  :) sounds like you have your work cut out! Make sure you make time for sitting back and enjoying the plot  ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 22:29:19 »
It's taken me 4 years to get the hang of everything! And still, some things go horribly wrong.

I have been growing veg for 39 years and and still things go horribly wrong.
Some things you win and some things you loose.

Welcome to A4A Keejaay.  I do hope you get things sorted.  Sounds as if you have quite a job on. 

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:50 »
may be the answer is that every who takes on a plot pays a deposit; of the cost of a days rental of a strimmer and some one paid to strim. then if the plot is left weed free the deposit is paid back if not the deposit is used to hire some one to stim it down. if i was to take on another plot i would be drawn to wards one that been strimed. be intersting to see how many is strimed before handing it back just toget the deposit back;

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2011, 11:32:58 »
Welcome to A4A Keejay...  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 20:36:24 »
The first few weeks we cleared and dug and planted about half of it in between our shift work , This week i decided to tackle the bottom half only to find everyone had been using it as a dump
Hi keejaay - sounds like you and your wife have done that really fast. I hope you reported that fly-tipping to the council (or whoever runs your site) they ought to be aware. And presumably they collect rubbish at your site? If not, report it as fly tipping, I think they come and collect then.

Some neighbours were very kind and really helped me by cutting my grass down and scooping up some of the edges. It was a small job for several people but one which was just getting on top of me. That really helped me no end and the next year was more successful for me.

Your site sounds nice, antipodes. We never bump into people regularly on our site. Three of my close neighbours look like they're going to be 'losing the plot' soon, one of them has apparently already given up. I'd like to be able to encourage them and give help, but I have no way of contacting them... Most people don't join our society, which is entirely voluntary and the only way of joining is by signing up at the annual meeting. (Yes there really is only one meeting a year!)

Sometimes it doesn't need people to help physically, but just for someone to offer encouragement, and say, yes it really is hard sometimes, and you're not the only one whose plants get diseases or whose weeds grow faster than their veg! It's normal. That can give you courage to persevere. People give up when it seems like the risk of failure outweighs the effort needed.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 09:23:40 »
Sometimes it doesn't need people to help physically, but just for someone to offer encouragement, and say, yes it really is hard sometimes, and you're not the only one whose plants get diseases or whose weeds grow faster than their veg! It's normal. That can give you courage to persevere. People give up when it seems like the risk of failure outweighs the effort needed.

Agree with you there Pige, was having a chat with one of or older gardeners, and she's been there donkey's and was saying about how she was thinking of giving up, so I kept chatting and got me into action, offered to help re-roof the shed (we'll do it together, an extra pair of hands will make it an easy quick job), plus some extra salads I have will be on her doorstep anyday soon. OH will be mowing some paths this week so I'll make sure the ones round her plot are nice and shipshape.
I think, where we are in particular, has been a tough year, especially if you sow directly, as there simply hasn't been enough rain (until last night....)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 18:38:18 »
bump

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 18:51:34 »
I try to get to know newbies by offering spare plants/produce and introducing myself(I'm not on the committee but I don't get out much  ;))
The OH often strims the odd path etc and helps with compost heaps and sheds. Many plotholders help out when folk are sick or finding it tough.Sadly there will always be those who despite support and encouragement just don't go the distance.It would help if on our site they didn't let plots get so overgrown that when re-let they are such hard work .But that's another thread eh !
sanity is overated

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2011, 11:47:21 »
The plot next to me was taken 2 years ago by a Father for his young Daughter (11ish). What a waste that turned out to be. I gave them brassicas which they put in but never harvested, they put a few fruit trees in and that has been the total of their input. I think the Father comes and digs a bit when it's rent time and that's why they are allowed to stay. Oh for an enthusiastic person to take it on. Our corner of the site is friendly and we all give away plants that are surplus to each other and those with mowers do the paths. I consider myself lucky. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal