Author Topic: Raspberry Varieties - what are peoples faves or best croppers?  (Read 3649 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Slightly late (as per usual for me!) but looking to plant my raspberry borders (or some of it) in the next couple of weeks. Not crucial if I don't get many fruits this year as they will be doubling as a plot border instead of having a fence.

Will have a space for quite a few varieties (assuming 6 canes of each type) so keen to try as many different ones as I can get in, with a mixture of early,summer,Autumn types.

Searching the web seems to bring up contradictions in terms of which are best (be it flavour, cropping yield or disease resistance)
Based in West Yorkshire if that has any bearing.

So the question is what are favourite varieties or which do you have great success with. Or which ones to avoid if there are any that do not perform that well.

Would rather trust first hand experience and advice from fellow plot holders as opposed to internet tittle tattle :)

brownowl23

• Acre
Re: Raspberry Varieties - what are peoples faves or best croppers?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 15:10:26 »
MY fav has to be All gold. So sweet compared to red ones. I have filled my gaps this year with more all golds

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 15:19:09 »
Will be going for some All Gold for sure, and some of the Purple Glen Coe and Apricot Valentina just so that they are not all red  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 15:59:42 »
We got tulameen last year, supposed to be very tasty, only got a couple last year, they seem to be very vigorous, spread everywhere so we're transplanting some to the plot  ;D
http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/soft_fruits/raspberry_cane_tulameen/

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 18:34:47 »
Any truth to the opinions that Autumn varieties are so good at cropping not to bother with early/summer ones?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 20:15:51 »
I have just planted 10 Glen Ample for an early summer variety and 12 Polka that are supposed to produce from July-Nov.  I chose these 2 because they have spine free canes so they are safer kids to pick from.  They are both apparently prolific producers too, but they were only planted 6 weeks ago. 

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fruit-plants/raspberry-plants

(I purchased them from Blackmoor nurseries for half the cost of T&M.) Thought for you:  Sometimes the downside of using them as a border is that you can only harvest from one side so you only get half your crop.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 23:16:51 »
I am trying Glen Prosen this year.  I have not had a crop off it yet but the canes have grown very big.

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 13:14:36 »
Cheers for the tips folks  :)

Put some orders in for a few varieties so hopefully get them planted next week.

Already inherited some in the garden but no idea what varieties they are - seems to be a mixture of allsorts!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 20:09:38 »
I have both Summer and Autumn rasps, and the season lasts from July to November.
I would not bother with all gold again as the raspberry beetle damage is very obvious and the flavour is nothing special.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 20:41:41 »
The only variety we have is Autumn fruiting Joan J.  It bears lovely large tasty fruit.  The downside is that it suckers all over the place.  I understand that suppliers are changing to Polka as a better variety.

valmarg

Capt Pugwash

• Not So New ...
  • Scholes, West Yorkshire
    • Plot 10
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 21:22:13 »
My plot is in Scholes, Cleckheaton and even though my raspberries are young I have a decent length of raspberry season with Glen Moy, Glen Ample, and Autumn Bliss (my favourite)
It is the beginning of wisdom to say 'I don't know.' - Narrator from Monkey Magic

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 21:32:06 »
I have primocane Belle de Malicorne which crops June-July and again September - November.
i was still picking huge tasty fruit last year until the snow started.

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 23:28:26 »
My plot is in Scholes, Cleckheaton and even though my raspberries are young I have a decent length of raspberry season with Glen Moy, Glen Ample, and Autumn Bliss (my favourite)

excellent  ;D Those 3 on order amongst some others and our plot is in Wyke so good to know they do well "locally" :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal