Author Topic: Fresh Horse Manure.  (Read 1356 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
Fresh Horse Manure.
« on: June 17, 2011, 16:06:59 »
We  get lots of fresh horse manure which we spread on our plot and let the weather get to it then rotovate it in.  Now I am worried after reading garden paper about ecol.  The paper is saying manure should be rotted for 2years to be safe.  I do rot cow muck for 2 years. What does anybody else think.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Fresh Horse Manure.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 16:27:41 »
Well quick Internet research seems to have two schools of thought. One that the risk is very low and two that composting is necessary. However risks of parasites or other pathogens are much higher than e coli. One article says 2 weeks of stockpiling is enough to kill pathogens
Surely there are other germs in soil anyway? I would have thought tetanus was more of a threat than ecoli. But maybe that's just because I stick horse manure on my plot no matter what it's condition...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 16:28:39 »
Well I pick our chicken poo up of the lawn and then straight into greehouse.never done us any harm

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 16:44:39 »
Thank you for that, put my mind at rest.  With all these rules and regs I don`t know if I`m going coming or going sometimes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal