Author Topic: Are onions worth growing?  (Read 6638 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Are onions worth growing?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:25 »
I'm of the opinion "plant an onion get an onion" (if using sets!)  - I just don't see what you get, other than a slightly bigger onion than the one you started with ;D, so it's a no from me.
I asked a similar question a while ago, http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,48923.0.html and still don't grow them .......  maybe, just maybe I'll try a few seeds later this year.... but as my main allium beds are taken up with garlic and leeks, competition for space on my plot for for extras is a toughie  :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:33 »
Yes, as I find it hard to always be a very diligent worker, onions fill up space nicely and look great during their growing period. I grow garlic, brown and red onions and shallots, varieties that I like, and which are not always so cheap - I saw shallots at 2.80 euros for 250g the other day!!! I now manage to grow almost all my own usage in a year.
I think I just like them!  I don't grow veg according to its value to buy. But because it's better and tastier when you grow it yourself.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 13:10:51 »
My 150 red barron and 150 centuron went in last weekend costing me a total of £2 for both sets.  If anyone can tell me where i can buy 300 onions for £2 then I will stop growing them.  I also have 75 onion seeds on the go in cell trays that will go the ground in about 2 weeks.  These do not include my garlic, ishikura white spring onions and Crimson Forrest red spring onions.  Again,  with 300 seeds per pack for only £1 a packet.  My 2 varieties of leeks are the same as for spring onions
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cobnut

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 14:49:39 »
My 150 red barron and 150 centuron went in last weekend costing me a total of £2 for both sets.  If anyone can tell me where i can buy 300 onions for £2 then I will stop growing them.  I also have 75 onion seeds on the go in cell trays that will go the ground in about 2 weeks.  These do not include my garlic, ishikura white spring onions and Crimson Forrest red spring onions.  Again,  with 300 seeds per pack for only £1 a packet.  My 2 varieties of leeks are the same as for spring onions

Where do you buy your seeds from please?

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 15:54:55 »
I never grow enough onions and they are a must if you like eating them raw, they do pay for themselves as you can't buy the quality and the flavour of a homegrown onion IMHO.
Chloe:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal