Author Topic: Democracy  (Read 2528 times)

jules2

• Not So New ...
Democracy
« on: May 06, 2011, 15:12:59 »

I won't go into detail about the problems we have had with our Parish Council but to give you an example I wrote to the Chairman asking to meet him at his "clinic" to discuss the allotments.

He wrote back ignoring my request and informed me that he had told the staff ( we have a big Parish ) to ignore me.

There are numerous other examples I could give of similar rudeness.

So come April I put my papers in to stand for the Parish Council, this annoyed them as there are 20 seats and there hasn't been an election for at least 12 years.

In the past they have just divvied the seats up between themselves.

They didn't realize I was standing until after they had put their own papers in so I forced an election in my ward with 3 out of 4 getting in.

My fellow allotment holders got behind me and we blitzed the ward I even ended up the other night being applauded in the street by a couple of ladies I barely knew.

The three standing Councillors fought me on a joint ticket asking for all three votes.

To cut a long story short the results today were

ELECTED

1st 411 votes, no description on ballot paper, a long serving Councillor

2nd 376 votes, description = Independent / Allotment Holder, guess who?

3rd 225 votes no description on ballot paper

NOT ELECTED

4th 174 votes

The moral of this story is organize and fight back..

I can't wait for my first council meeting. :)

I find it sad I had to go to these lengths as allotments should be about fun and cooperation ( Big Society? ) yet so many councils don't understand this.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Democracy
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 16:09:49 »
I can't tell you how pleased I am.  It's no fun whatsoever, but if people like you don't stand up for change the tyrants win.  Jolly well done.  Don't expect to be welcomed with open arms though, there are some increadibly nasty small-minded self-serving types get involved in local politics, but stick to your guns anyways.  Brilliant.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 16:23:22 »
Well Done.  But I agree with what unwashed says. expect it to be very frustrating. 

My guess is that most decisions are make in the pub before the official meeting takes place.

I wish I knew what the 'small-minded self-serving types' get out of being Parish Councillors. 

Do not let them grind you down.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 18:34:05 »
Well done and good luck.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 19:11:01 »
Well done indeed! Good luck too.

I hope other people realise that they can make a difference if they want to do enough.

Again. Well done. I'm sure you'll serve your community well.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 19:20:57 »
Bloody well done you.   8) 8) 8)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

jules2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 19:49:55 »
Well Done.  But I agree with what unwashed says. expect it to be very frustrating. 

My guess is that most decisions are make in the pub before the official meeting takes place.

I wish I knew what the 'small-minded self-serving types' get out of being Parish Councillors. 

How do you eat an elephant? one slice at a time.

Being an ex Boy Scout I have already invested in the NALC "Standing Orders for Local Councils"

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 20:13:26 »
Being an ex Boy Scout I have already invested in the NALC "Standing Orders for Local Councils"
Bear in mind that a lot of what you get from NALC, and quite possibly everything you get from the parish clerk, is carefully designed to tame you.  You do have to work within the code of conduct and standing orders of course, but that's not the problem.  What they'll want to do is wear down your enthusiasm for change and independent thought.  Best of luck.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 20:27:09 »

It makes them feel Important, and lets them take their frustrations out on other people. Above all, they get to Take the Decisions and Have the Last Word. You get them in churches as well; I could really tell you some tales.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal