Author Topic: Greenhouse staging - sort of!  (Read 3829 times)

hideaway

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse staging - sort of!
« on: February 25, 2011, 15:09:54 »
On my allotment i have a greenhouse (which didn't get used last year as i took the plot on and had loads more to do elsewhere) which has staging int it, sort of.

There is a metal frame stretching the full length, with legs, all looks nice and sturdy but where i presume the surface / worktop would have been there is just 3 big 2' x 2' holes.

I would like to use this surface but cant decide what would be best to put in place, wooden slats, metal slats etc.

I do plan on using some capillary matting on it as i cant get down each day.

Wooden slats i could probably make, but not sure where i would get metal slats from?  Also, do they need to be slats, whats the benefits?

Sorry for all the questions, but with limited funds i want to make sure i make the right decision first time.

Thanks in advance for your help

Gary

hideaway

• Not So New ...
Re: Greenhouse staging - sort of!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 15:11:44 »
sorry, forgot to also ask, there is that nasty looking whitewash stuff on some of the glass - whats the best cleaner to get it off?

Gary

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 15:52:26 »
The 'whitewash' is painted on for shading and intended for greenhouses, rather than nasty!!  Though it does look messy.  It should rub off easily with a cloth. You will need to wash down the greenhouse anyway if it is dirty and neglected.

I have wooden slats for my staging.  I think they would be your best bet as you can easily make them yourself. The idea with the slatted staging is to let water drip through and for air circulation.

If you want to use capillary matting, you can either lay plastic (eg an old compost bag cut open) on top of the slats and put the matting on that, or get large plastic trays and use those. The trays retain more water but can also be over-watered, so you have to take care. I use a mixture of both.

You might want to make your top removable, so you can use the space for tall plants later?  The metal frame can be left in place and let the plants grow up through it.  Or alternatively some plants that like it warm benefit from being up high, eg peppers, chillies, aubergines (check they don't grow too tall also).

Once you get into greenhouse growing there is never enough space!!!

Have fun with it this year.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 15:56:43 by Morris »

hideaway

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 16:01:06 »
Hi Morris

thanks for the reply - Stupid question warning!

with regards to the trays do you just bung in some gravel and some water and sit your plants on top of them?  And how much water would be too much (would it need to be below the level of the plant pot?)

thanks

Gary

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 16:10:01 »
Hi Gary

No questions are stupid!  :)

Yes, you could use gravel and sit the pots on top. It also helps to keep the greenhouse atmosphere humid which deters red spider mite.  And yes, the roots mustn't sit in water or it can cause rotting. 

I use capillary matting in the base of the tray.  It's easier for me to manage than lugging gravel or sand.  Everyone has their own preferences.

hideaway

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 16:12:47 »
thanks alot - will add trays to my shopping list!

all the best

Gary

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:11:21 »
Hi Hideaway,
For a cheap option i use old internal doors , can find them in skips! ;D

My greenhouse is 8ft wide which is perfect for a 6ft door with a fish box at the side.

Works fine whilst you are saving up for the posh stuff.
x sunloving

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:23 »
Norfolk Greenhouses do fairly cheap multi-shelf greenhouse staging and various other bits and bobs too, I have their potting bench. It's made from galvanised steel and isn't the prettiest stuff in the world but it is sensibly priced and you can get a lot of shelving for your money, then grow tomatoes up through it

chrisc

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 13:22:10 »
I make temporary 'staging' out of bread trays...and once they are not needed anymore they are easy to chuck outside for storage and space used for growing.
Many companies don't seem to collect or take away bread trays anymore..propably delivery men being lazy..so Pubs etc. are more than happy if somebody will clear some away from their backyards.... ;D

ConfusedRhubarb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 21:49:57 »
bread trays - brilliant!
thank you goodlife

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 22:10:04 »
Glad to be help ;)..and..you can use bread trays later on for drying out your onions and garlic..should really write book '101 uses for breadtrays' ::) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal