Author Topic: Orchid  (Read 1424 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Orchid
« on: April 03, 2011, 17:54:54 »
My daughters bought me a lovely orchid for Mother's Day and the care inatructions are pretty vague. It has several roots hanging outside the pot and seems pretty pot-bound (the pot is transparent). Is this what it's meant to be like or should I pot it on straight away? It says "Orchid kept in growing pot to protect roots".

Spudbash

• Acre
Re: Orchid
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 18:01:16 »
Snap!  ;D

I'd also love to know what to do with mine!  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 18:31:36 »
Do not pot it on. Water with rain water and let it drain away. Only feed with orchid food or  very very very very (homeopathic quantities )of plant food.
Keep in good light but not direct sun. :)
The roots are aeriel roots and meant to be like that
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 18:40:42 by pumpkinlover »

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 18:33:44 »
Pot on Lady,s they are normally planted  3 corns to a 6 inch pot, it is  a little bit late in the season for repoting but to be honest I have not lost one yet. Take it out gently have a look for any seed corns among the rots take these off, and replant  as above don,t forget you need a good Orchid compost, keep out of direct sun at all times, keep moist, and use a plant saucer to water they grow in moist and hudid conditions so think Amazon weather :) :)
m j gravell

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 18:38:03 »
They don't like hard water I believe.  Think I have killed mine trying to pot on etc. All leaves have dropped off and the stalk is dried and holow.  Don't know whether to consign it to the great compost heap in the sky or hope, like Lazarus, it will rise again.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 18:44:11 »
I only use rain water if you think it has passed its sell by date take a look to see if there is any seed corns for you to replant. I keep mine wet byt not soaking I use the saucer to hold the water and a small spray for the top. I planted new corns  at the end of January and are only now coming through, they are very slow plants. if I can help you let me know :)
m j gravell

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 19:10:23 »
Tipped it out of pot and had a nosey.  Oh it was sad.  All roots rotted.  Can't complain I got it to flower after the mains tem had broken off for two years running.  will have another bash but will use rainwater from now on.  Wait for my new orchid to grow now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal