Author Topic: Squashkin.  (Read 3435 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Squashkin.
« on: March 29, 2011, 13:01:21 »
Has anyone grown squashkin please & what were the results. It also comes under the name of autumn crown.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Squashkin.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:00:19 »
Not one I've tried GrannyJ, hopefully someone here has cos' I'm interested to know if they are good.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 15:36:35 »
It's a cross between Crown Prince & butternut squash Jayb so it could be a good one ;D.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 19:42:55 »
I grew it when it first came out. IMO it doesn't live up to the taste of Crown prince, and it had low germination (3 out of the 5 seeds sown) and also low yeild, only one per plant which survived compared to both butternuts (usually get 3 or 4 per plant) or crown prince (usually 2 per plant). Unless the price of the seed has come down quite a bit this makes it quite expensive.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 19:59:04 »
I have grown it for two years with success here in Glasgow with no problems on germination. Good taste, very similar to butternuts. I think that the main use of it, is as a much better bet to mature than butternuts in the North. It sets the fruit at least a month earlier than butternuts.
However, Crown Prince is even earlier and easier to grow and mature.
Invincible is being touted as an improved Crown Prince. However, it is not nearly as sweet and does not keep well.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal