Author Topic: Tortoises  (Read 2267 times)

ripley

• Not So New ...
Tortoises
« on: February 23, 2011, 17:22:38 »
I have just woken my three tortoises up after their winter nap in the fridge.

Does anyone else here keep tortoises? Ripley

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: Tortoises
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 17:50:14 »
 :) yes I have a tortoise, but don't keep him in the fridge, he has been moving about for a week or two, but I feel its too early for him to be fully awake yet / shades x
grow your own way

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 17:59:11 »
We've had one in the family for just under 40 years...  She sleeps in a box on newspaper, in the loft.  she's now in her 80's/90's...

She is got down when she wakes up (she's checked regularly from Feb) and her eyes are bathed clean.

My Mum bought her when I was about 5 (she chose the largest adult in the shop) and she is lovely and friendly.  She still knows me when I visit, and she gets up high on her legs and "sways" and enjoys having her head stroked.  She hides in her shell if she doesn't know someone.  She has the run of the place, and even comes inside the house to find Mum if it's a hot day and she wants feeding more!  She can climb steps as well!!!  She is lazy and likes (when we allow!) being hand fed to save her lowering her head!!!

She gets added calcium in her diet now, and it has done her the world of good, she now grows far larger rings each year than she did.

p.s. wouldn't a fridge be too damp?

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 19:32:51 »
It's nice to hear that other people on here have a love for torts too!

I was adviced to keep them in a small fridge (not the kitchen one!) because the temperature can be better regulated. My three are all Hermans and were my sons pets before he discovered girls and rugby!!! I have two who are about 10 and I hope will be breeding soon and then the little one who is approx 5yrs.

It is funny trying to explain the very different personalities they have. Tonka our male had a gap year where he escaped into the garden for over 14 months. The problem was it was so cold the vet didn't think he would survive. When he turned up he looked so ill he had frost bite in his eyes and mouth. But he's still here but I know he's planning his next trip! ;) Ripley

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 21:42:44 »
  :)we have had  Joseph 49 years, so he has to be about 85-90 years old ,he was bought from a pet shop, and outgrew his wooden box years ago and now sleeps in a cardboard box(new one every year) full of shredded newspaper. As he is a male he is very naughty and chases your feet 'til you stop and then bites your toes, if you have shoes on depending the material they are made from, he will mate with your foot if you are stood still long enough! Always looking for a female if the weather is hot and sunny.He is also very strong and pushes plant pots out the way if he wants to sunbathe,and comes to the back door when he wants to be fed. fascinating creatures/ shades x
grow your own way

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 22:38:04 »
Yes, our "Tortie" always tried to look for a male mate for a few weeks each year when she was younger, but she has stopped doing it now... must be feeling her age  ;D   She has a very large garden to plod around, but tends to stay in the same area, unless she comes down (and into!) to the house for food.  they do need a sunny spot, as they have to warm up in the morning to be able to feed.

They do like bare toes - I think they think them food!  Otherwise, she never tries to bite us, though she cannot tell the difference between fingers and food, and (for us, the rare) tortoise bites do hurt!

They are fun and very fascinating.  They definately have characters and know the people who feed them.

Not sure who will "inherit" Tortie if she needs a new home ever... We have said she'll prob go to whoever has the largest garden, as she is used to freedom.  I would like her, and am hopeful, as one of my sisters has said she'd be too scared of her dying in the Winter.

Newspaper is the best for Winter - don't use straw as it can harbour mould spores, which can kill tortoises.  Cardboard boxes are good too, in case they wake up before you realise and try to climb out.  the box is more likely to tip over, rather than the tortoise end up on its back (and die  :()

I am relieved the importation of tortoises was banned, as it was criminal how many died in transport when I was a child...

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 20:13:20 »
My 2 girlies came out of the loft about a week ago, my Nan bought me Fred for my 7th birthday and we found Joe walking through Hurlingham Park when I was about 10. They are both Mediterranean spur thighed tots. We had a 3rd, Icabod, but sadly a fox killed her about 5 years ago. We always thought they were boys hence the names.

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal