Author Topic: Greenhoues  (Read 1301 times)

jackienunan

• Not So New ...
Greenhoues
« on: April 19, 2011, 16:38:01 »
Hi I'm looking for a greenhouse with the glass,I'm willing to pay for one but dont have much money i live in Atherstone in the west midlands if you no of one that would be grate :) thanks jackie

hawnet

Re: Greenhoues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 22:15:57 »
E Bay definitely.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 14:41:56 »
I spent ages looking and although you see them on ebay, they go for silly money - expect to bid at least £100 for a basic 6 x 6 ft Aluminium/Glass greenhouse with some broken glass buyer to dismantle and collect.

The best way forward may be to decide how much you are willing to pay then advertise in the local paper, on shops notice boards etc and you may find someone who has one unused in their back garden.

You may get lucky but the days when someone would gift you a greenhouse to get rid of it are largely over I'm afraid.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 15:15:55 »
I spent ages looking and although you see them on ebay, they go for silly money - expect to bid at least £100 for a basic 6 x 6 ft Aluminium/Glass greenhouse with some broken glass buyer to dismantle and collect.

The best way forward may be to decide how much you are willing to pay then advertise in the local paper, on shops notice boards etc and you may find someone who has one unused in their back garden.

You may get lucky but the days when someone would gift you a greenhouse to get rid of it are largely over I'm afraid.

My 20x10 cost around 300 quid on ebay last year (plus about 200 in travelling and "camping in East Anglia for two nights while I dismantled it" expenses)... The common small sizes go for a premium over the larger ones.... daft I know but I guess there's more people looking for them.... also I bought it in August, no-one's looking for a GH about then, but they appear at the same sort of rate all year pretty much, caused by people moving is the normal reason.... so this is the wrong time of year, same as with rotavators... THe reason why it's easy to sell and hard to find free is the increase in allotment holding over the last few years.... people have a reason to want one....

Have a look at the bigger ones, my Robinson Rosette would be fairly trivial to make up at half length (ie a 10x10) plus there's a coulpe of 12x8's recently that went for the same price as the 8x6's.... and they'll be way easier to keep a sensible temperature in (bigger the house the more stable the temp)

chrisc

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 16:50:58 »
What I was trying to say (not very well) was that if you've got £50 and are looking for a second hand glass greenhouse, you are probably not going to get anywhere on ebay these days though you might have a few years ago.

But yes, I have seen some large GHs go for far far less than the new price and have been very tempted.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 23:47:34 »
h, I'm glad I was sat down when I found out what a custom 20-foot Rosette costs these days.... it was being used as an alpine house so had six double-width roof vents and 8 louvre vents..... That said these days you get the strengthened glass, back then it was just 4mm horti....

chrisc

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:56 »
Recently, I "found" an 8 x 6 greenhouse in my garage which I'd bought over 10 years ago intending to put up in the back garden.  But then new neighbours with football playing children moved in next door and busy with work etc, never got round to putting it up and eventually stored it in the rafters.

Was going to take it down the plot but now you have got me thinking about flogging it on ebay and then putting the dosh towards a larger one or even a polytunnel.  Bum bum bum!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal