Author Topic: How is best to wash my chickens bum???  (Read 4277 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
How is best to wash my chickens bum???
« on: May 12, 2011, 15:44:40 »
Hi,   one of my hens has had a dirty backside for a few days now, and I saw signs of runny poo a few times too.  I am in the process of worming them (just in case) as I read that they shouldnt ever have dirty bums! Now I need help in how best to clean her up!  something I do not relish doing!!!
My thoughts are to get a warm soapy bucket of water, hold her and sponge down with perhaps a good dousing after! is this method ok and will it work?  if anyone has any better ideas please let me know

PS she is otherwise healthy, eating drinking and perky but I dont think she is laying (i could be wrong but I only have two hens and am only getting one egg a day when I usually have two)
You always love your children more than they love you...

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: How is best to wash my chickens bum???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 16:20:06 »
Ok..bum remedy.. ;D Bowl of luke warm of water and bit of washing up liquid..not the antibacterial sort.
Stand her in bowl (water up on middle of her legs)..hold tightly so she don't flap about..and splash the water on her bottie..until clean..propably needs a bit rubbing.. :-X ;D
Repeat with plain water to rinse the 'soap' off. Pick her up in your loving arms with towel and give a bit of rub to dry off.
Job done and a girl with clean bottie!  ;) ;D

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 16:34:49 »
Thanks it sounds so easy when you put it like that!!

We'll see, just about to do it now as its still sunny!!

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 17:37:01 »
Just done the deed! wasnt as hard as I thought! in fact she seemed to quite enjoy it once she got over being held still in the water! 
However although i got all the dirty stuff off she looks like she has a big scab or crusty type thing on her skin, does anyone know what this is? I'm guessing it is dried compacted poo and will gradually come off perhaps with more washing?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 18:21:31 »
you haven't given her some lettuce by any chance?..as that will give them 'runs'...
Let her be now for few days and if there is still mess..then repeat it..
It would also help to keep her in very basic food..just pellets..and perhaps little corn on afternoon and hardy any green..if  possible. Just to give her chance to 'dry out' a bit... ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 20:53:14 »
Boy, you guys really know how to have a good time.. I just have tio get a life :D
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 21:02:48 »
 ;D ;D ;D..such a fun.. ;D

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 22:51:12 »
Yes I have given them lettuce, but not loads I know it can affect them.  I keep a pot in my kitchen where our leftovers go each day and give them this in the morning so they prob do have too much 'other food' but have done this for the 3 yrs I had them !   However have taken your advice to only give pellets as I am worming them now too, so will leave her a few days and see how it all looks again then! oh joy!!!

Yes we do have fun dont we!!! ;D ;D  the joys of being a 'mum' again lol! ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal