Author Topic: Elegance Shallot  (Read 1935 times)

General Tactifer

Elegance Shallot
« on: March 28, 2011, 15:08:54 »
3 years ago I ordered shallots from Marshalls, but they replaced one of the main varieties due to a cropping problem.  The replacement, Elegance, grew wonderfully well.  Unfortunately, since then I have found no trace of the variety anywhere; even Marshalls don't have it or any info' on it!  Anyone else here grown that variety or know something about it? 
GT

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Elegance Shallot
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 23:24:25 »
To be perfectly honest. Several of our gardeners on our allotments have started to get shallots from the supermarket.

We have had great results. Most of the supermarkets these days show the variety of the product.

Last year we got a load from our local supermarket which had been reduced in price and planted them. Some grew to be the size of a small onion. Perfect flavour too

We kept back several small shallots for planting this year.

They are doing very well.

I suppose it depends on whether you want to grow for food or for a fad. We grow for food and the supermarket  shallots have produced exactly that for us.

It is a constant argument with growers that the big conglomerates offer us things like seeds at inflated prices

Over the years we have all tried things like giant onions ( they do not keep well for culinary use, are totally tasteless but look imperessive for show)

On the allotments I belong to we now have dedicated gardeners who grow for eating. NOT for showing.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 00:08:11 »
reminds me of someone on our site who got his plot so late in the season he had no chance to buy any seed potatoes as everywhere had sold out. So he went to morrisons bought back a coffee, sandwich and a bag of potatoes from there discounted area as they were going to seed planted these and got a wonderful crop!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 13:14:55 »
:) Yes I now always plant just supermarket garlic from Lidl, and this year I also planted some cheap shallots from my local market!! as well as some saved from last year. They all seem to be growing!

It's frustrating not to find a variety that you like - this year I wanted to grow Agata potatoes as last year they were very good, but couldn't find any :(
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:09:18 »
It's frustrating not to find a variety that you like - this year I wanted to grow Agata potatoes as last year they were very good, but couldn't find any :(

Antipodes,

url:
http://www.europotato.org/display_description.php?variety_name=Agata

Agata are on the European potato database, perhaps the breeder can tell you where to get seed tubers, if you can't find them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal