Author Topic: Shallots......  (Read 2732 times)

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
Shallots......
« on: March 21, 2011, 21:28:00 »
............I planted them out a couple of weeks ago.....but everytime I visit the plot there is always a few of em pullled out of the ground. I assume its birds or perhaps cats...Is there owt I can do..i do plant them fully and firmly into the soil

Nobbs xx   ::)

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
Re: Shallots......
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 21:29:20 »
i put nets over till they get bigger i used to have the same problem

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 23:07:47 »
I plant both shallots and onion sets just below soil level, and then lay sheets of glass over the row (broken glass is fine), and I think clear plastic would probably work OK if weighted down well.

It only takes a minute or two to protect 100 sets.

It's an especially good method if you are going away because the leaves grow fast and stretch out under the glass, but even if left for 2 weeks they all spring up a few days after the glass comes off - apart from a few that are folded to breaking point - quite rare.

The slugs love the space under the glass but hardly touch the sprouting leaves.

Don't whatever you do use this ultra-simple method for anything with shoots that attract slugs - I tried broad beans once and I lost nearly 50%...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:14:08 »
What about a little fleece untill they are more established?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 13:56:53 »
I start them off in pots- mainly because of onion white rot, but gives advantage of them havving roots when they go in the ground.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 14:47:09 »
You can grow several varieties from seed.... never have a problem with them being pulled out :D... I started my shallot bulbs in 15-drop modules a efw weeks ago and planted out last weekend.... they had roots (plenty of them too) but no shoots yet....

chrisc

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 22:34:21 »
What about a little fleece untill they are more established?

I find fleece anywhere near the ground just attracts curious foxes. It's OK for wrapping stuff.

If you were talking about my glass-on-the soil-method it is critical that the cover is slippery so the shoots can find their way along the gap.

I haven't tried it but I think fleece might be a problem.

On the other hand I ran out of glass today and used a bit of old corrugated PVC instead - strikes me it might be perfect - which makes it the only good use for the darned stuff (see old thread on its problems).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:15 »
I tied reusable string along each row and so far it's worked.

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 22:54:29 »
cool thanks for all the advice

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 22:25:30 »
 would you believe we have the same problem here in Ontario ,Canada.
 we think it's the squirrels,,,,,,little b*******s.
 qahtan

picman

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 22:36:07 »
We have Magpies that will pull anything out of the ground, white plastic labels are a favorite.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 23:09:27 »
i used to think it was birds,but recently have thought maybe worms (or so my  step dad would have me believe!)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:24 »
Sometimes, if you are gardening on a heavy soil such as clay, as the roots of the onion or shallots grow, they seem to push themselves up and out of the soil.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 07:10:16 »
It doesn't have to be heavy clay; they do the same thing in compost in my greenhouse.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 07:21:27 »
My shallots were fairly well behaved this year but onion sets just seemd to leap about the garden! They were upside down in the same hole, some were on thier side, some had gone walkies! ??? ??? ???

elaine

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 20:33:52 »
I'm relatively new to gardening and also to allotment 4 all when planting shallots in the garden, how long will it be before i see anything begin to sprout?
Thank you in anticipation

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 21:11:13 »
Fairly soon now it's warming up :)
a week or so :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 21:13:44 »
I was just going to say, depends on the temperature of their site  ;D. Once it warms up they'll be fine. Perhaps they're currently making roots. I think they're a beautifully trouble-free crop.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal