Author Topic: Celeriac  (Read 5100 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Celeriac
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:42 »
This is my new veggie for 2011. And I haven't much of a clue as to where to start! I got it from HSL, variety Balder. I was planning to sow the seeds indoors in a tray of potting compost, but beyond that I need help. Any tips or advice from A4Aers ?

Thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:12:22 »
Keep it damp... especially once planted out it's a marsh plant. If I had any seeper hose this is what I'd use it for..
We can get it to larger than tennis ball size.. but are still working on it. Plenty of well rotted manure with good water holding properties..  :)

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:46 »
OOHH I but have ever thought of growing it, think I will try them it as well I love Celeric  ;D

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:51:57 »
 ???Sorry new laptop grammer went out of the window.yep I will be growing Celeric this weekend.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:13:40 »
???Sorry new laptop grammer went out of the window.yep I will be growing Celeric this weekend.

:o  :o  :o at grammer going out of the proverbial window on a thread about Celeriac  ;)

So it sounds like I've chosen a veg which is a bit challenging, oh well, let the challenge begin!

Do they mind a bit of shade?

1066  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 13:51:31 »
No a such thing as too much water for these things, it wants all the ater it can get and it likes plenty of organic matter in the soil too.... I got good ones last year growing it on a piece of soil I'd heavily manured and then I put some small-bore leaky hose wound through the patch and ran it off the autowatering that gave the greenhouse 2 hours a day....

chrisc

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 14:03:09 »
Also first year for me, I was suprised how small the seed is, and how small the seedlings are.

I did what it said on the packet and sowed in a seed tray, and I have just transplanted into modules, but I think next year I will do it the simpler way of sowing direct in modules and then thin them out as there is no shortage of seeds in the packet.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 18:27:11 »
I sowed a handful and have 60 seedlings so far, just as well there are lots of friends on the plots to take them off my hands.
I take out a trench in well manured ground and plant into it, they don't seem to worry about a bit of shade, ours were next to the peas and grew well  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 18:32:51 »
thanks for all the info peeps  :) So it's watering, muck spreading and a bit of shade for my celeriac  ;D Sowed the seeds today  ;)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 20:00:09 »
sowed mine a few weeks back but not been very successful in previous years but as I like it want to try again - seems popular more and more so here's to a good year with it  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 20:25:38 »
Yes was going to see if i can get some well rotted horse poop and get the ground ready for me as i plan to sow these monday.... hope i am not 2 late to get the seeds going?

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 21:21:20 »

We can get it to larger than tennis ball size.. but are still working on it. Plenty of well rotted manure with good water holding properties..  :)

I've only grown them once. Thought they were doing really well as they were the size of large grapefruit. Until I lifted them and they were strangely shaped flattened grapefruit!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 22:26:20 »
I sowed my saved Alabaster celeriac seeds way back on 4. January. They take forever to get going, but I now have 24 strong plants with 6+  leaves potted on from modules into 3 inch pots. They are now in a cold greenhouse where I shall keep them well watered till they get planted out at the end of April - under cover for a couple of weeks. From then on it's water, water, water!

Tricia

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36:15 »
Cam, I don't know if we are too late or not  :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 13:23:14 »
Well we aren't too late here...  :-X

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 18:22:48 »
And don't forget to keep stripping-off the leaves as they grow, or they will be all green growth.
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 18:50:39 »
The first time I grew them they were the size of small melons. I've never been able to get them that big since.  :'( :'(

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 22:42:23 »
And don't forget to keep stripping-off the leaves as they grow, or they will be all green growth.

Thanks for the insiders tip! That's why I like this forum, one of the best bits of info I picked up on here was to nip out the 1st cucumber flower, so now I'll add this info to my list of do's and will hopefully have something resembling a Celeriac  :)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 22:50:16 »
Ithink - I know where I went wrong - didn't water enough and didn't strip the leaves.  Had lovely celery smelling leaves, no bulb.  Will also take out the first cucumber flower this year

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 22:57:53 »
Only strip the outside leaves that die back as the plants bulb up!

Tricia 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal