Author Topic: how much time?  (Read 2508 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
how much time?
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:03 »
How much time do you need to work an allotment for it to work reasonably well? I suppose what's the minimum really? My son is starting school in september (where has the time gone?!) and I'm thinking about signing up for an allotment. Although I need to know which school he's going to go to first, so I can get one near that. (The schools with picked are in opposite directions from our house and have sites near them!) I know it might be a little while until I actually get the allotment.

I was thinking of growing the high maintenance crops at home, and things that we'd use regularly (like salad, soft fruit) and a few beans, peas, courgettes, etc. And have spuds, squashes and more of everything else at the allotment. I'd probably only get a half plot.

Would it manage on about 3-4 hours 2 or 3 a week at the most? I think that's about all I could spare, inbetween housework, grocery shopping, and all the other mum stuff I have to do!
gone to pot :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: how much time?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:18:13 »
How much time do you need to work an allotment for it to work reasonably well? I suppose what's the minimum really? My son is starting school in september (where has the time gone?!) and I'm thinking about signing up for an allotment. Although I need to know which school he's going to go to first, so I can get one near that. (The schools with picked are in opposite directions from our house and have sites near them!) I know it might be a little while until I actually get the allotment.

I was thinking of growing the high maintenance crops at home, and things that we'd use regularly (like salad, soft fruit) and a few beans, peas, courgettes, etc. And have spuds, squashes and more of everything else at the allotment. I'd probably only get a half plot.

Would it manage on about 3-4 hours 2 or 3 a week at the most? I think that's about all I could spare, inbetween housework, grocery shopping, and all the other mum stuff I have to do!

I would think 10-15 hours you suggest would be ideal. If half of our plotholders put in that much time the site would be pristine. I'd get your name on both waiting lists now... or he may have finished Infants, or Juniors before you get a plot. You can always drop off the other list once you know where he's going...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:52:07 »
Oh that's a good idea - hadn't thought of that! I'll call them later!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:05:38 »
sooner the better- or find out whch university he's planning to go to! :(

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:11:21 »
I think that sounds like plenty of time, particularly as you plan on less labour intensive crops, fruit is a good one for this. One thing that may take up time initially is if you get offered an overgrown plot, but a few work parties would speed things up for you

and yes get your name down now  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:08 »
Agree would get your name down asap, however, as a busy working mother also I must warn you , having an allotment is highly ADDICTIVE. I wish someone had warned me..... ::)

You go down to do a quick hours weeding, and by the time you have noticed the blossom coming out on the pear trees, seen the cold frame lettuce are getting attacked by something slimy and found the organic slug pellets you hid in the shed somewhere last year,checked on your stored shallots (better take some home and use them up before they start sprouting), had a chat with plot neighbor Sue about her plot foxes and new cubs, admired and tied in the new growth on your peas......you have a irate coach on the mobile asking why haven't you picked your son up from football as you were supposed to half an hour ago......... ::) ;D ;D ;D And as for housework.......ha ha ha! ;D ;D ;D What is that again.....?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Strawberrygirl

• Quarter Acre
  • Waiting for the sun....
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:52:03 »
It'll depend on how close you are to the allotment and how much work it'll require when you first get it.  Ours is 2 mins away so we can pop round whenever but if you are a car drive away it'll be more time consuming for you.  I am a working mum, i love it, it's good for exercise and good to get the day's stress out of the system.  It's great for the kids though, our youngest helps dig and loves it, last year he found a slow worm which was really exciting for him.  This is our second year, and haven't given up yet, although i think we probably would have if it wasnt so close.   Waiting lists can be long, depending where you are, we waited 18 months and were told that was good!  So get your name down for the nearest to you.  Good luck  :)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:24 »
ignoring the time necessary to clear an overgrown plot and get it reasonably ship shape (this is a how long is a piece of string question), my very crude rule of thumb is to allow 30-45 mins per pole per week during the main growing season.

This assumes, as Deb P has pointed out, that you do not get sidetracked!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:55 »
My plot isn't always the best, and can get overgrown, but I try to put in about 4 hours a week. I am a full time working mum of 2 and my plot is 5 minutes from my house. Between April and September I do one good work session a week, usually Sunday morning and pop down intermittently after work to water, and pick things. In the winter months it is restricted to a couple of hours on the weekend.
It depends a lot on how interested your family are. Mine won't set foot down there so that changes things somewhat.
Good luck and enjoy!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 13:11:36 »
Is there any body that you could share a plot with?  Two friends of ours are in a similar situation to you and they share a plot between them.  Everything they grow is equally shared (or will be) but they also have a medum sized bed each to do whatever they want with - I think thats to allow them to grow risky crops or try diferent techniques.

Might be a good idea - there may even be someone you know who would appreciate the help on their existing plot ine xchange for veggies.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 19:17:50 »
Thanks for the replies - they are all very encouraging!

Deb -  I know what you mean about distraction. I have enough trouble with that in my own garden! And housework? Well I've heard it's something a full time mum is supposed to do, so I thought I'd better pretend I do actually do some!

Stedic - I don't know anyone who lives close enough to share a plot with. I know there is a site near me that has smaller plots as it's only a tiny site anyway! I'm hoping the others do half plots. I couldn't manage a whole one!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 20:44:59 »
It depends a bit on the soil.  Almost everything is easier and quicker on a light soil, except you might need to water more often.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 21:06:19 »
Wow - were did the time go? School already - mine are 18 and 13 now :o

When they were small and I had Mum stuff to do, plus a plot to maintain; I found it was simply a matter or organisation and a really sharp hoe!  A bed system really helped me to focus my efforts.

I think that amount of time will work well although you may need to go back to the plot on summer evenings to water if it has been dry or first thing.....depends if you are a lark or owl

How many waiting lists are you on?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 22:16:54 »
I agree with Deb. My allotment and this site seems to have taken over my life, but I love it.  Hope you get one soon, forget the housework apart from essentials.  The only other thing is cooking/freezing all your lovely produce, making jam etc.  That also takes time, and of course the gardening shop/seed addiction. Beware.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal