Author Topic: Different Greenhouse Plants  (Read 11962 times)

Kerry

• Hectare
Re: Different Greenhouse Plants
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 22:16:58 »
well, here goes, as i planted my pineapple top today, following EJ's advice! will wait and see (impatiently!)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 09:19:30 »
I planted mine yesterday too  :)

If no-one complains, it is destined for the photocopier room at work - very warm and light in there  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 12:24:09 »
Cool!  Good luck pineapplers!  Don't over water, they rot very quickly.  They will sit in their pots looking glum for some time, but then, if they are growing, one of two things will happen.  Either new leaves will start developing in the centre of the crown or a new baby pineapple plant will sprout close to the parent crown.  I don't know if it depends on variety or if the crown was damaged in some way.  I have had both things occur, the down side with the little baby plantlets is they are small so take longer to develop, but they do grow rapidly.  YUM!

Viks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2005, 13:42:15 »
growing Pienapples - how cool!!
How tall do they grow? are they just tall thin plants or are they bushy too.

Thanks
Viks

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2005, 14:24:54 »
The idea of growing pineapples sounds cool, I am going to try this.

Thanks for all your help and advice (and great pictures too).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2005, 15:13:42 »
The pineapple plant can get pretty big before fruiting.  Think of the top of the fruit, double it and add 10.  Mine was a monster or long spikey rigid leaves before fruiting so watch your eyes, mine got me daily!  8)

hesperis2000

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 11:46:51 »
 Emma Janes pineapples

those pineapple flowers are amazing!
i definately want to try this but surely  EJ , your greenhouse is a conservatory with a minimum 15 c ,even at night?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 22:54:17 »
Yup, my pineapple is in my conservatory, suppose it shouldn't be in the greenhouse thread, but I do treat my conservatory as a greenhouse of sorts as it is packed with plants, cuttings, seeds and seedlings!  ;D  I couldn't tell you the temperature, but it certainly isn't constant.  The conservatory has central heating and runs on the same program as the house.  Whatever the weather, 11pm at night the heating goes off and it doesn't come on again until 6am.  Some mornings it is very chilly in there, but I have never known it be frosty.  In the summer it bakes hot as hot can be as it is south facing and only receives shade from about 4pm from the neighbours house which is set at an angle from ours. 

I am glad you all liked the pics.  It was thrilling to successfully grow the pineapple and I am hoping for a repeat performance this year.  Just wish I could get my bananas to set fruit!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2005, 18:25:15 »
Have just eaten some very juicy pineappple following planting up the top of the pineapple. Had intended to do this following the article in kitchen garden magazine, but was inspired again after reading about everyone elses efforts.

The only problem was when I removed the top of the pineapple there was not much of the pineapple part below the leaves, I just hope there is enough to generate a root system.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2005, 16:10:50 »
So how are the pineapples going?  Here is my mummy, she is huge and mean! (not like me at all!!!)  Hoping she will reproduce this year.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 18:21:17 »
here's wishing, EJ! i have 2 pineapple tops in the propagator. one looks good and healthy, not so sure of the other one. time will tell!
let us know what yours does....

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 21:29:27 »
Emma is that the tiny little thing you shown us not long back? ??? if so it's a corker now ;D  what a shrewd way to buy exotic plants 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal