Author Topic: compulsory hire  (Read 2122 times)

nolandyet/nowwedo

• Not So New ...
compulsory hire
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:37:33 »
Hello everybody, first post, We have set up an allotment society and joined the National society but we still have no land. I asked my parish council 5 years ago to start finding land but there has been little action on their side, so I'm now wondering whether compulsory purchase or hire of land is the way forward. My question is are there any groups on here that have taken this path in the quest for land ? and may be able to advise us.
By the way, great forum, only found you yesterday.
Rich.....

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: compulsory hire
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:59:17 »
Although I cannot help you I think there will be a few folks on here who can. Welcome to the site
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:59:43 »
yes welcome someone will have the answer

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:13:43 »
The allotments acts do allow for compulsory purchase... but unless there is a World War on local authorities seem loathe to use it. Hiring off a local farmer/landowner has worked for some groups... good luck.  :)

nolandyet/nowwedo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 21:37:42 »
Thanyou for the replies and welcomes, the fight continues.
Rich...

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 21:47:19 »
All councils have something tucked away, Wellcome to A4ALL hope you find somewhere soon
m j gravell

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 23:06:27 »
It's the principal local authority that has the power to compulsorily hire, and the parish council has to ask them to do it on their behalf.  I believe if they decline there is an appeal to the secretary of state, but your first task would be to convince the parish council to ask, and like saddad says, they seem extraordinarily reluctant to use their powers.  It's certainly a power that should be used much more extensively because the valuation should be as agricultural land and that works out at less than £1/pole so there's little capital cost and running costs are covered by a modest rent.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal