Author Topic: leaf mould - too dry?  (Read 1594 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
leaf mould - too dry?
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:10:36 »
I collected autumn leaves last year and put them in my compost darlic. I figured it was on the same principal as putting it in plastic bags, but on a larger scale. The leaves were damp when I put them in.

I checked them yesterday and at the base the leaves looked dry and just like they did when I put them in and had ants crawling through them.

Should they have broken down a bit by now? I know it takes a couple of years to complete, but I expected some changes by now.

Should they be wetter? I was thinking if I take the lid off next time it rains, would that help?
gone to pot :D

pumkinlover

Re: leaf mould - too dry?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:57 »
What's it like in the middle? I find leaves look the same for a year or two- then next time you look are lovely.
You need to get enough to leave (no pun intended  :-[) for a couple of years.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:52:58 »
Some leaves breakdown much quicker than others.  Beech take ages.  I would suggest dampening them.  Perhaps a bit of nitrogen based liquid (pee) would also hasten the action.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:09:55 »
Thanks!

I can't get to the middle easily to check! Got too much else to do at the moment really.

I will get Mr Aqui to pee on it and maybe add Aqui junior's contributions from his potty!

Another thought - would mixing in grass clippings help?
gone to pot :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 10:22:23 »
Actually it is action from the bacteria and little creatures in soil that breaks leaves down..leaves are not processed same way as garden waste when making compost.
I find leaving top off from the compost bin or doing the leaf mold in open mesh cage works best as there needs to be quite amount of moisture for any bacteria, fungi and little critters to able to deal with the stuff.
Think about how leaf mold is done in nature..on forest floor, open to the elements.
Something like birch leaves..if sheredded to smaller you might get ready in a year..but generally it take couple or years to turn leaves into lovely dark crumbly leaf mould..tough leaves, like oak may take 3-4..in ideal conditions..

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 22:51:27 »
Mixing in grass clippings is a great help. I've got a big bin of leaves, over the next few months I aim to mix in as much grass as possible. Basically by turning it into the next bin, a layer at a time and mixing well. Probably do that twice and then leave it. In one year, I get very good results. The forking about helps break it all up. This is in a wooden bin, covered with a plastic sack. (But I'd definitely leave the lid off the dalek.) It's like a lot of things, if you've got the time, space and energy, you can work wonders.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal