Author Topic: Another scam  (Read 2151 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Another scam
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:02:32 »
I have just received this from someone wanting to get my Bank account details.  I wonder how many people actually give away their personal details not realising that it is a scam.

Tax Refund Notification

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 1468.50 GBP. Please submit the tax refund request and click here by having your tax refund send to your bank account in due time

Please Click Here to have your tax refund to your bank account, your tax refund will be sent to your bank account in due time take your time to go through the bank we have on our list

Note : A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons, for example submitting invalid records or applying after deadline.

Best Regards

HM Revenue & Customs

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Another scam
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:22:43 »
I had my tax refund and they sent u a cheque, so as Pauline says never give your bank details to anyone.   :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:37 »
It is odd but I have know people who are normally quite bright almost fall for this tax return guff.
I run a mail server and some of this does get through to the end user. One chap came to me and said that he had filled out the details but was having second thoughts..
I asked him
Was it addressed to you by name.
Did it mention your NI number or your address or any presonal info.
Have you filled out a tax return recently.
Have you ever given the IR your email address.

He went away and deleted his response..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:22:43 »
thanks for the warning- they just keep trying :(

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:33:00 »
Never give your bank details to anyone who contacts you. Ever. Ever. Motto to live your life by  ;D

Mind you my hubbie was tempted when Ban Ki Moon himself offered him £500,000. Surely we could trust him with our bank account.  ::)  :P

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:02 »
I received an automated call at work yesterday (first one of its kind) which told me that due to a mix up with Natwest and another bank (can't remember the name) monies were due back into our account.  Press 5 to continue with this call or 9 to be taken off of the calling list! Hahahaha.  Obviously I didn't press either but I was hoping that a fake customer service rep would come onto the line so I could sit her by my soon to be turned up planet rock radio station ;D ;D Alas, never happened. It just cut me off instead!

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 13:00:06 »
Oooh another planet rock fan  ;D

Hubbie also had cold caller on phone. Every monday at 10 for about 5 weeks. They couldn't even tell him his own name!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 19:46:31 »
We had  someone ringing up this week asking could they speak to my wife about her bank account details, I said which account and the reply was 'I'm not allowed to tell you', 'Bye, bye', :)   

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 21:55:41 »
With the way HMRC are messing up lately NO 0NE should fall for this scam.lol
DaiT

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 22:09:09 »
I nearly fell for this scam except I knew that I had no tax to come back unfortunately, but then I did not pay any either.

You put your bank details on the self assessment and any refund come back into your bank account I got a small one last year directly into bank.

But you do get a schedule in the post so you are expecting it.  I posted online in December and I still have not got my assessment back.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 22:19:55 »
With the way HMRC are messing up lately NO 0NE should fall for this scam.lol

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 22:24:45 »
I should have to say that the previous message was nothing to do with what I  posted. ;D

valmarg

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 23:54:19 »
'best regards' from revenue and customs is a dead give away I'd have thought. There always seems to be dodgy grammar in these scams.
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal