Author Topic: Onion Carnage  (Read 3775 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Re: Onion Carnage
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 20:07:50 »
I'd never tried overwintering onions before but put some in this time as a bit of an experiment. Have been pleasingly surprised as most seem to have survived...

I did do one thing different to 'normal' onions though, I earthed them up a bit rather than leaving the tops showing like you do normally. Not sure if this helped, or is even a good idea, but they seem okat the moment...

My only worry is that now the worst of the weather is over the onions may rot as they're more under the soil than perhaps they should be... Has anyone else done this? Should I un-earth them a little at some point to let the air get to them?

Any ideas? :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 13:32:04 »
Don't worry, I bury mine a bit as well. I lose them because of waterlogging rather than cold, though the sort of winter we've been having seems to make the problems worse.

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 13:42:49 »
I don't grow broccoli, it's an heretical, disgusting, foreign, adulteration of the noble cauli, and I won't tolerate it.... it also tastes ming....

I think it's the other way round actually. Broccoli go back to Roman times, while caulis are an innovation which doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere before 1600.

I like both- the history of our vegetables is something I'd love to learn more about when time permits- HA HA HA ;D!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal