Author Topic: Allotments now in Hextable  (Read 2676 times)

Dee Morris

Allotments now in Hextable
« on: March 26, 2011, 22:44:06 »
  A number of members of Allotments 4 All, particularly a kind sounding Bexleyheath resident, were concerned about a Hextable allotment holder who could not keep her allotment in Swanley when Hextable village left Swanley a couple of years ago. I thought you would like an update as the story does have a happy ending, Hextable parish council has now provided allotments in the village on the site of old kitchen gardens which were part of what used to be  large Horticultural College gardens but now owned by the council.

The parish has been paying Swanley over £300 a year for 2 allotments so we wanted to provide allotments as soon as possible but we had a lot of legal things to do in regard to setting up a new parish council which were costly and time consuming. Also to prepare the land and erect security fencing, gates, water tanks etc was a big expense for a village council who had absolutely no money to start with at all and had to do some urgent work on dangerous structures in the village as a priority. So we are sorry it took us a couple of years but after trial digs early last year on various village sites which were not suitable work started in summer last year in the Heritage Gardens and the allotments are now completed. Everyone is really pleased with the finished allotments and the new allotment holders are all very keen!

The parish does appreciate that it would be best for allotment holders to keep their original plots, where they have put in so much work over the years, so we offered a swap arrangement but this was refused. However, everyone seems more than pleased with the situation now and I expect our plot holders will be looking at your site for tips!  Thank you to everyone who posted comments and for your support for a fellow allotment holder who at one stage faced eviction if we hadn't come up with the money. The parish is giving free use of the new allotments for this first year. 

Dee Morris     
Hextable Parish Council

pumkinlover

Re: Allotments now in Hextable
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:46:17 »
This was before my time on A4A, but sounds like a good outcome in the circumstances  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:39:31 »
Excellent result all round..  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:58:07 »
Thanks for letting us know how it all worked out. Sounds like a lot of hard work and effort has been put into the new allotments, so well done  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:13:55 »
Thanks for that Dee a right result in the end, Pumpkinlover if someone finds the original post its well worth a read.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:24:29 »
So pleased that you have managed to get a good solutions. 

Here is link to the original thread I remember reading it.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,39902.0.html

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:34:28 »
Cheers Digeroo.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 21:01:55 »
Just read that lot! Thanks for posting the link Digeroo :)
Interesting reading I hope everyone is happy now.

I understand some of our allotment sites are limiting new plots to "locals" only. Seems a bit tough if there aren't any sites local to you though ???

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 22:23:14 »
Thanks for the update Dee, you've done your allotmenteers proud.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 22:39:13 »
thanks for the update. ( whatever happened to those two warring councillors? LOL)
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal