Author Topic: Gardeners World  (Read 12626 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Gardeners World
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 18:30:05 »
thanks Manics!! :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 20:40:02 »
I wonder what Toby Buckland we be doing now,will he be at gardeners world live this year.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 21:54:47 »
 Oppppps, started a post in the shed forgot about this one.

I thought GW was quite good last night, liked the winter garden.  Looking forward to seeing more gardens with Carol.
Doing our Snowdrops tomorrow now i know how.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 23:07:10 »
I need to split some of my clumps, but I'll do it when they've finished flowering.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 14:55:38 »
I need to split some of my clumps, but I'll do it when they've finished flowering.

yep snowdrops are best done in the green after flowering
i don't belive death is the end

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 15:29:12 »
Actually enjoyed GW, for first time in many years.

Felt like Monty was there to impart knowledge rather than be a personality.

He likes his Buxus doesnt he?!
Best laid plans and all that

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 15:39:10 »
Actually enjoyed GW, for first time in many years.

Felt like Monty was there to impart knowledge rather than be a personality.

;D ;D ;D ;D

He has a few there don't he  :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 12:43:59 »
Fridays was nothing to shout about was it,apart from that is no Joe.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 13:54:10 »
I just watched Fridays GW..and it did raised few questions..err..comments from me ::) ;D
First..Our expert Rachel mentioned the those viburnum bushes were attacked by viburnum beetle/weevil..correct..but "she would spray with organic based spray/pesticide to keep them away/kill?" ??? Correct me wrong..please..but I don't know any organic based  spray that would tackle viburnum beetle or weevil. Have I missed something on shop shelves?
Second..Monty was pruning his red currants for better air circulation for moulds and sawfly problems and was recommending same for black currants and gooseberries.
Well, over the years I've grown currants, I've never had those problems associated with currants..gooseberries yes..
And I've never had need to hack any currants that way..for moving purposes yes, but I found that by letting currants to grow their full potential size and only taking odd low growing branch out and maybe few from middle to other room to expand that is all that they need..and I get buckets full of berries out per bush..every year..and no pest or moulds....and again only goose berries may need bit more drastic pruning now and then.. ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 15:29:19 »
I have to say I wondered about the currants he seemed to be pruning off all the fruit.   I prune my blackcurrants after they have fruited.  No air ciruclation round my red but no mould either.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 15:33:48 »
Those bushes that he haven't pruned yet look perfectly fine to me..and I would not grow red currant with a 'leg' like that..unless standard...they need to be lower down like proper bushes so they can make new branches from lower down..what happens if something goes wrong with that leg..he is more likely loose the whole bush ::)
I love to do proper ranting.. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 19:08:14 »
I've got gigantic currant bushes which I just left since my daughter wouldn't touch the fruit. I've cut the blackcurrants back, but haven't touched the red. I've never seen a trace of mould.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 08:33:37 »
Enjoyed watching carol's garden through the seasons,even in deep winter.

You had a real sense of the summer to come.

This is a dreary garden,hedge this ,hedge that.

The license payers paid a lot for the set up of the Gardeners'world garden and I was looking forward to seeing it develop.

I have always found Monty boring and this series just confirms it.

Get him off.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:51 »
Enjoyed watching carol's garden through the seasons,even in deep winter.

You had a real sense of the summer to come.

I agree, the BBC have shoot them selves in the foot again by putting Monty in charge,the woman for the job is right under there noses and yet they still cannot see it. I think Tichmarsh doing one for ITV as paved the way for other channels to put on gardening shows,lets hope Carol gets one, till then I'll stick with Beechgrove.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 15:00:46 »
This has certainly been causing plenty of debate. At least we are pretty sensible on A4All. The BBC gardening forum has countless threads on it all full of whingers and moaners about the programme. Pound to a penny they are the same/similar people who moaned about the previous series and the one before that. Just no pleasing some people. Never satisfied. Possibly a good thing the login facility on there is down and i cant post or i would be tempted to knock a few cyber heads together.

Personally I like Monty, now and when he presented before. I also like his garden I have a couple of his books featuring the garden and have seen plenty of pictures of it at its best. I think by judging it when no garden is at its best, people are being impatient and unfair to the place.

I think the show is being pitched just right, not too simplistic or highbrow, giving sensible advice on what to do in the garden right now, just what GW should be doing. Dull? Boring? maybe if you liked the 2009 series yes, but people forget real gardening was at the heart of the show before they started messing about with it so much. Nice to see all the 'jazzed up' elements stripped away and the programme getting 'back to basics'.

Not sure if they have got things quite right with the support presenters. To me Carol is at her best doing practical stuff in her own garden not going on garden tours. Rachel should be doing the visits  IMO. I think joe is wasted on the show - should have his own series and let Rachel do her bit alone. Last week without him was much better than the first show, where he looked a bit of a spare part.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 15:56:09 »
Monty Don  Is ok Why Knock Him hes ok

Its good to have Gardeners World on TV

We need more gardening programs llike this

Remember  Gardening Time ?
 Howard Drury and Arthur Billit. I liked this Program

I Liked  Alan Fred Titchmarsh and  Geoff Hamilton  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal