Author Topic: Getting Warm!!!  (Read 1087 times)

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
Getting Warm!!!
« on: March 22, 2011, 15:50:54 »
Just planted the first of the veggies. Spring onions and raddishes in raised bed, Broccoli seedlings  planted out, Carrots and spinach started in greenhouse in loo rolls........hope it doesn't get too cold ???

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
Re: Getting Warm!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 16:23:31 »
Fingers crossed. Might take a look at long range forecast for your area on www.metcheck.com though and be prepared to fleece
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 16:47:16 »
i would still go easy on tender stuff yet   :o
i don't belive death is the end

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:49 »
Sometimes I am really suprised by the differences in temperature between here and the UK - I have already sown outdoors spring spinach and early carrots and put them under fleece! The spinach is already showing through! 
I also have broccoli and beets in the sheltered seedbed, under plastic and spring onions were directly sowed on Sunday!! (although I have terrible trouble getting them to work usually)
Then again I have no greenhouse so no way to do things differently than just chuck them outdoors...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:31 »
My brassicas are nearly on to their 2nd set of leaves and I am not sure when to plant them out.

With regards to spinach, I found that the stuff sown outside a few weeks ago has done better than the seeds in doors.  I have found that spinach doesnt need protection and doesnt mind the cold

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:25:31 »
sowed beetroot and turnips outside a couple of days ago, old seed so if they do fail, nothing lost  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal