Author Topic: what's on your list to grow this year  (Read 7794 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: what's on your list to grow this year
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:04 »
PS I have stolen some of your lists to compile my own...thank you ;)

That's the pleasure in sharing  :) My firends have also suggested pimping sheds, and have now suggested that I buy a sun lounger and install a cocktail cabinet in my greenhouse. Friends huh!!

Looking back I sowed mine at a similar time dandytown, and will also try and resist the urge to sow some squash. But having said that Jeannine always recommended sowing and then potting on and on and on, to get the best and strongest plants before planting out. I realise this takes more time and more compost, but so far I have to say I've always had good squash plants following this method, and had very few losses on my exposed and windy plot!  :-\

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39:19 »
The general theme was a bar, a couple of suggestions of sunloungers and a bbq...however that is inspired installing a cocktail cabinet in the greenhouse, very funny :)

Someone else mentioned to me about sowing and potting on too, especially with butternut, I may just try a couple to see how I get on, and dandytown list and recommendations look pretty sound to me too.  :)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 17:47:21 »
1066, I did find that to be the case..... potting on and on and on.  I only got one broken one but it was my black futsu which only gave me just one pumpkin in the end (shame as it was so tasty).  The other Futsu was given away as on potting on the name taggy label thing fell out and I forgot what it was.

I will resist the urge up to the 7th but there is no stopping me after then  ;D and whilst this is a pumpkin blog, I have, just started some melon seeds chitting in a seed bag with some wet kitchen towel in there.  Have never tried it before and will let you know how it goes.  Considering putting them in the airing cupboard.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 17:52:24 »
Ohh...sounds like 'we' have some 'itchy' fingers for sowing the tender stuff...careful.... ;)
I'm waiting patiently..err..sitting on my hands ;D...until end April before anything start happening with any of these sort of stuff.
I BET..now that we've had some summery weather this early,  we are going to pay for it...once this ends the monsoons arrive following some late snow and pumpkin size hail ::)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:10 »
once this ends the monsoons arrive following some late snow and pumpkin size hail ::)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A few of us last year had a Melon competition, I know I know  :-X, anyway from 5 of us, only 1 person managed to grow some, in her garden in a very sunny and protected spot! The greenhosue owners failed last year. Not sure if we will repeat the fun and games this year or not. But good luck, and yes let us know how you get on.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 09:34:53 »
Where are you going to put all those pumpkins/squashes.  Looks like you are going to need several allotments just for them. 

I have a packet called Lakota and I have found the rest of my packet of blue hubbard, and with trompetto d'albenga climbing about the place that should fill the space quite nicely.  Also got Kamo Kamo.

I am still thinking about carrots, broad beans and brassicas.  Might get a couple of courgettes going on the windowsill.  Our site far too windy but hopefully the peas will soon be tall enough to shelter them.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 09:37:59 »
Thanks for the reality check goodlife.  The early warm weather does have a habit of lulling both the experienced and inexperienced to sow too early.  Rain and wind yes but hail and snow  :o :( :(

Interesting info about the Melons.  Alarm bells should have started when I found out that no one else grows them on my site.  I am growing a quick maturing cantelope (Alaska F1) and an Asian variety (Sun Jewel F1).  Will read up as much as I can but any success can only be down to begginers luck.

Digeroo, I read that tromba is a very vigorous climber that some grow up there apple trees.  If they do I think it will be a talking point for the other plot holders to see those unusual and large fruits dangling from the trees

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal