Author Topic: Quarterly payments  (Read 2390 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Quarterly payments
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:34:56 »
I seem to remember that there's a piece of allotment legislation which requires councils to accept quarterly payments. Is this right, and if so, what section of what Act is it?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Quarterly payments
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:01 »
S.10(2) Allotments Act 1950

10 Rents to be charged for allotments let by local authorities. (applies to England and Wales)

(1)Land let by a council under the Allotments Acts, 1908 to 1931, for use as an allotment shall be let at such rent as a tenant may reasonably be expected to pay for the land if let for such use on the terms (other than terms as to rent) on which it is in fact let:

Provided that land may be let by a council as aforesaid to a person at a less rent if the council are satisfied that there exist special circumstances affecting that person which render it proper for them to let the land to him at a less rent.

(2)Not more than a quarter’s rent for land let by a council as mentioned in subsection (1) of this section shall be required to be paid in advance:

Provided that this subsection shall not apply where the yearly rent is twenty-five shillings or less.

(3)In this section the references to a council shall be construed as including references to the parish meeting of a rural parish not having a parish council.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:49 »
S.10(2) Allotments Act 1950

(2)Not more than a quarter’s rent for land let by a council as mentioned in subsection (1) of this section shall be required to be paid in advance:

Provided that this subsection shall not apply where the yearly rent is twenty-five shillings or less.

il.

25/- ? has that not been up-dated?

You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:15 »
Quaint isn't it.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 22:40:54 »
Thanks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 22:48:04 »
I like the bit on the Government legistation website which says

Changes to legislation:There are currently no known outstanding effects for the Allotments Act 1950, Section 10

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/14/31/section/10

Are you sure you are in arrears at the mo unwashed?

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 23:01:24 »
£1 5s 0d was quite a lot of money in the 50s

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 23:06:09 »
Are you sure you are in arrears at the mo unwashed?
I'm sure I am not in arrears - the rent increase was unenforceable.  I'm also going to pay the same rent again this year as last year.  The council have withdrawn their forfeiture for arrears, but they've given me a notice to quit out of spite.  I'll beat that too on grounds of unreasonableness and natural justice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal