Author Topic: Joining the Greenhouse owners club  (Read 4168 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Joining the Greenhouse owners club
« on: March 04, 2011, 15:44:21 »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  ;D  ;D  ;D

Yup I'm just about to me a member  as I've just bought a greenhouse  8)

On a scale of 1 to 10 how happy am I? Probably about 1000  :D  :D  :D

It will be delivered next week, so up to the plot over the weekend to prepare the area

I'm thinking ....................

AUBERGINES

Woo hooooo

1066  :D

davejg

• Half Acre
Re: Joining the Greenhouse owners club
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 15:58:29 »
 ;D I know how you feel I was like that in october

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 16:15:09 »
Aubergines is a great thought!!  ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 16:19:09 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm thinking of the Thai Long / Farmers Long Aubergines? What do you reckon?

Also a few peppers, some beef toms, I've got some yard long beans at the ready, ooooo I can see the list growing before my eyes  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 16:23:17 »
I'd go for the long ones too...
Peppers/chillies and beefsteak toms... yes. How big is the greenhouse? It would need high eaves for YLBeans... I did spagna beans in the "big" greenhouse with 10' eaves and it was really big enough..  :-X

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 16:30:05 »
hmmmm, its a 6x6, but it comes with a lot of capacity for daydreaming  :D

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 16:56:21 »
Has anybody picked yard long beans in the UK?  have tried tree times in the green house, plant up to the ridge but never any beans.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 17:06:21 »
6x6...ohh..happy gardening.. ;D
Remember..you can always fit 'just one more' plant ;)..it is suprising how much you can fit in..well this year..and next year you think, 'not enough' ::)
So...start planning the GH no2 ;D..or maybe extension?..note; leave some room for it ;)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 17:12:42 »
Has anybody picked yard long beans in the UK?  have tried tree times in the green house, plant up to the ridge but never any beans.

I've no idea, it was a packet I bought in the sales  :-X or in otherwords on a whim!! Be interesting to see if anyone has had any luck with them, maybe those with heated greenhouses  :-\

thanks goodlife  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 09:30:20 »
Exciting news  ;D ;D

I really like some of the small fruiting aubergines, they flower non stop and have a good crop of handy size fruit, growth is fairly compact and they are easy to grow in pots.

More toms yummmmmmmm,I loved Grubs Mystery Green last year, Earls's Faux a super pink beefsteak, Pink Boar is beautiful, tasty too. Ponderosa and Orange Strawberry, again very tasty. If I can tempt you with any of those I'll post some seed  :)

I've grown yard long beans in a polytunnel and they have cropped well, they do make big vines and look gorgeous wit the beans hanging down. I've not tried them out doors, last several summers have been pants here.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 10:56:17 »
so someone has had success with Yard Long beands, that's encouraging!

And thanks for the suggestions Jayb, I grew small patio type aubergines outdoors in the garden in pots for a couple of years, and they grew, flowered, developed fruits but thet didn't really ripen, so hopefully with the Greenhouse  8) I'll have more success  :)

Off to sow some peppers and toms..... just trying to figure out how many I can get cram grow in there?!

Happy days........  :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 14:44:10 »
Congratulations-I love doing the 'rounds' and the scent of toms in high summer............

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 14:59:45 »
I'd plan on five toms in a 6' border and more peppers/Aubergines in pots on the other side..  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 15:31:05 »
1066-- Congratulations!! I remember just how excited I was when I became a greenhouse owner. Mine was free from free cycle. I grow tomatoes chillies cucumbers and sweet peppers. 
I am attempting my first melon in the greenhouse this year :-\ alongside Ninnyscrops! I have had a greenhouse for two years and would now love another. One for growing veg the other as a propagating greenhouse. Unfortunately no room for another :'(

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 15:47:33 »
sounds like I'm in good company  ;D I'm sure I'll have loads of daft questions as the year progresses!

And as to melons ...... maybe something for next year, but I wish you both well on that one, I know they can be tricky so and so's!

Should be up by next weekend  ;D

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 20:56:44 »
Good luck 1066 - I inherited a greenhouse with my first house - and I fell in love with the whole rigmaroll of owning a greenhouse (and learned by trial and error).  Make sure you acquire an old radio - for those wet afternoons when you are sowing or pricking out - and a corkscrew - an absolute must in my greenhouse (for opening the odd wine bottle ;)) and a high stool so you can sit down at the staging, sow some seed and enjoy the wine.  ENJOY

Meg

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 16:36:13 »
Great suggestions and additions Meg, particularly love the idea of a corkscrew  ;D , but think the high stool is a really practical idea. Will keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand / skip one. We had the wind up radio with us today, so will find a place to hide it for future  :)

Well, the foundations are sorted, 8) and the base made up, the rest is planned for next week. To be honest the pair of us are plum tuckered, spent 2 full days up there, digging, levelling, fixing etc etc. I've also done loads of prep on the plot, so am feeling very  happy  :D  So a hot shower followed by a glass of something white and crisp is called for me thinks  :D

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 20:47:43 »
Exciting news  ;D ;D

I really like some of the small fruiting aubergines, they flower non stop and have a good crop of handy size fruit, growth is fairly compact and they are easy to grow in pots.

More toms yummmmmmmm,I loved Grubs Mystery Green last year, Earls's Faux a super pink beefsteak, Pink Boar is beautiful, tasty too. Ponderosa and Orange Strawberry, again very tasty. If I can tempt you with any of those I'll post some seed  :)

I've grown yard long beans in a polytunnel and they have cropped well, they do make big vines and look gorgeous wit the beans hanging down. I've not tried them out doors, last several summers have been pants here.

What are they like flavour and tender wise?  They look spectacurlar on the packet.

Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal