Author Topic: Jeannine's seed swap - what have we sown?  (Read 8312 times)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Jeannine's seed swap - what have we sown?
« on: March 03, 2011, 23:03:09 »
Well it sowing time and what's gone in?

I did 9 Broadbean Aquadulce way back in early winter, they took a beating but sprouted and are looking good now.

4 Masterpiece Green Long Pod, a pinch of cowslips, purple tomatillo and some onion seed Rossa Lunga di Firenze and Gold Coin (about 4 each of the last) on 13th Feb.

How is everyone else doing?

Plus those across the pond  :)

Ninny

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Jeannine's seed swap - what have we sown?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:25:03 »
I've got some asparagus seeds done while back and those have germinated already ;D ;D only 4 yrs to go for the first crop now ::) Chillies are done and germinated..particularly Tepin I'm really pleased about, good germination out of the few seeds ;)
I haven't started properly yet so much is still on my desk waiting for the next step. Some of the tomatoes, salads, herb and radishes are almost sown..this weekend ;)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:37:37 »
Sow them! cant stop looking at them in their lovely little packets.
This weekend will be the start,I half inched the(empty) seed display box from Aldi  three divisions( early-mid-late), each for the next six months +so I will make a sowing guide,in theory!!!!
Exciting.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:05:34 »
I know that feeling of gazing at packets and seeds, then compost watch as I wait for something to show  ;D

I think the cowslips may have been from my garden  :)

This is what I’ve started,
2 little Pumpkin Trees, 100% germination
1 little Stevia, 50%
5 Shasta cauliflower, only just sown
Dwarf Grey Sugar peas, just sown
Tomatoes (one of each)
Queen of Hearts
Miledy
Gospodar
Cheetham’s PL
Red In Yellow Out
Purple Dog Creek

And the super Colorado Blue spruce tree, but no sign yet
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:54:45 »
Tomatoes all showing through except Gospodar.
Shahsta cauliflowers have all germinated  :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:14:24 »
I know that feeling of gazing at packets and seeds, then compost watch as I wait for something to show  ;D

I think the cowslips may have been from my garden  :)

This is what I’ve started,
2 little Pumpkin Trees, 100% germination
1 little Stevia, 50%
5 Shasta cauliflower, only just sown
Dwarf Grey Sugar peas, just sown
Tomatoes (one of each)
Queen of Hearts
Miledy
Gospodar
Cheetham’s PL
Red In Yellow Out
Purple Dog Creek

And the super Colorado Blue spruce tree, but no sign yet

Hi Jayb, let me know how you get on with the stevia as I am thinking of growing it from seeds

kindest regards

Kx

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:23 »
Peppers Buran, Pasila Bajio and Early Jalapeno.  Tomatoes Orange Heart, La Roma and Harbinger.  All germinated very well.

Peas Mr Big and Oregon Giant.  These were quite slow to germinate and I was wondering whether the seeds had been damaged by X-ray when the parcel went through customs, but they are now also showing signs of life, so all is well.

There are also lettuces Ubriacona Ciucca and Simpson's Elite,  but no germination yet as I have only just sown these

So many new to us varieties still to go, including a few asparagus seeds that I haven't started yet.  Mary Washington, I think the variety is.  This year and, with seedsaving. future gardening years, will be very different thanks to this fab seed exchange.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 00:02:35 »
Thank you Jaybe for the cowslip seed  :)

13th March:

A pinch of each that I'd taken of:

Leek - Lyon
Leek - Prizetaker
Gaillardia - Pantomime

x seed
6 x Ishikura bunching onion
3 x Nyagous Black tomato
3 x Tigeralla tomato
3 x Striped Roman tomato
3 x Early Girl tomato
1 x Blaby Special tomato
2 x Brandywine tomato
3 x Sioux tomato
2 x Trifele tomato
2 x Celebrity tomato
1 x Escapee (;D) tomato seed

and about 6 other escapee seeds but I've no idea what they are!

Ninny

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 21:32:01 »
Hi all, we are still trying to decide at this end what to sow that came back..you all spoiled me so!!

A good selection of onions are in..all that came actually, they are ready for potting on now, same with the leeks, they will be shared with all the community gardeners on ouyr plot and some grown for the foodbank,,plus me of course.

Broadies are mostly sown but keeping some of them back for next year.Several types.

Parsnips arer all in,,except for one big bag of seeds which did not germinate anything at all.

Peas..well what can I say, I mentioned I fancied a selection of peas, something really new to me and wow.. I got them.

The bible says " ask and you shall receive", I now need inspiration to decide juist which to grow.. I shouldn't keep putting it off but the choice is fantastic. I have been reading all I can about the various varieties and the selection is smashing..I think my tall pea fence will look like sweet peas with all the flower colours.

Thank you for the cowslips, not a flower one sees here so I am going to do a bit of night planting I think in a couple of places and hope they take off.

WEe just said today we simply have to get down to sowing.. oh the pressure of decisions!!

I am so pleased to hear some of you have sowed Shasta cauli.. it is truly a super easy one is among the top 5 seeds that I think are exceptional.It has grown caulis  for folks I have given it to many times when they said they could not grow caulis.. give it loads of room though, it will grow large.

Wonderful to hear what everyone is growing..I will add to the post as and when I sow

By the way, I recently found out that Mr Big  pea seeds which are not available in the UK have an alias and apparently they are available under that name, the name escapes me for the monment but I will find it for you all..

I am going to a meeting in a couple of weeks , an orientation for newcomers to our gardens and there I have seeds to hand out, also the lovely journal you sent which will be on show.

Thank you all again

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 22:07:33 »
May I add to that...Mr Big is called here as Dorian ;)

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 22:52:20 »

Peas..well what can I say, I mentioned I fancied a selection of peas, something really new to me and wow.. I got them.

The bible says " ask and you shall receive", I now need inspiration to decide juist which to grow.. I shouldn't keep putting it off but the choice is fantastic. I have been reading all I can about the various varieties and the selection is smashing..I think my tall pea fence will look like sweet peas with all the flower colours.

Grow some tall ones up the usual trellis and underplant with the bush types - that's what I do!  :)

Ninny

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 22:10:43 »
Can't be just me sowing things now  ??? come on you lot  :)

Beans sown today (and tis all I took so all eggs in one basket  :D):

3 x Black Turtle
3 x Sprite
3 x Purple TeePee
2 x Ernie's Big Eye
4 x European Soldier
4 x Mrs Fortune
3 x Ying Yang
3 x Royalty
3 x Pinto

Peas:
3 x Oregan Giant

Saved a large space in front of my beloved Scarlet Emperor trench for these little lovelies.

I'd really like who to thank for them too.

One Gold Coin onion plus 2 Ishikura have emerged. Had a firkle with the tom seeds as I'm impatient  ::) and a few have decided to get their butts into action so quickly covered them again.

Jayb - your cowslips - did I plant them at the wrong time  ??? they are cossetted in a seed tray in a plastic bag in the greenhouse covered with vermiculite?

Ninny

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 22:34:35 »
2 x African Horned (Jelly Melon)
2 x Chinese yellow cucumber

Ninny

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 14:25:39 »
Sorry Ninny, cowslips have been a bit variable for me, one batch germinated in the Autumn made really good strong by next spring, massive amount of flowers and so pretty. Another sowing, (within a couple of weeks) overwintered outside and didn't germinate til spring?  No idea why the diference ??? I have some fresh seed from this year if you would like to try some more?

A huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge yum yum for Fortex beans. I was really looking forward to trying these as Jeannine rated them very highly, can confirm they are good. Lovely long long stringless filet beans on climbing plants. I only had a few plants but they are producing like mad  ;D

My shasta cauliflowers are growing on a treat, although they are not ready yet they have lots of strong healthy growth. I won't need to be snapping any leaves over with these!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 17:40:16 »
Oh good, I really stick my neck out with the Shasta cauli..it never fails me and I have persuaded several folks to give it a go..ditto for Fortex although it has a rival now, or rather two of them. There are tall growing filets in purple and yellow here now, I don;t know if they are available there, I have a few of each growing in differnt areas but haven't looked around to see what else is near by.. I still have some left though..forget the name but will get back to you all.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 17:57:04 »
Some of my beans from the swap didn't germinate.. :'( ...due to so fluctuating temps in GH and trouble with watering during that time..I think...my own fault..should have played safe and done it indoors.. ::)
But those that did are doing well...flowering and all that.. ;D
Asparagus seedlings are now good size plants and now that my bed for them is almost finished..I shall get them into ground.
Kailan has done really well..been cropping plenty.
I'm just about to sow some radishes that was in parcel too..
Achocca has started romp away..finally...they've been sulking in ground but now they've got their feet in and started to stretch their arms..
Yacama is still sulking..healthy looking plants but they just won't grow... ???
Squashes are doing splendid.. ;D..I've picked few Lebanese Kousas already..yum, yum. Now I just wait flowers to appear in right combination and I'll play the 'fairy godmother' with my 'tickling brush'.. ;D Musn't waste the opportunity for few seeds.. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 19:30:32 »
Goodlife if the Cousa squash were from me they were probably the Magda one and it is a hybrid, I can't remember if I sent another one, but the Magda was only one I could get last year..it is a truly smashing one though.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 22:20:01 »
Code: [Select]
they were probably the Magda one and it is a hybrid Ahh..well that's that then.. ::) ...and I found some flowers tonight that would be ready for pollination tomorrow..tied them up and everything.. ::) ;D
What about the 'really big butternut'...?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 06:48:40 »
Sorry sweetie, it is a hybrid as well XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 07:21:03 »
Ok...one job less to do.. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal