Author Topic: spent hops  (Read 1094 times)

blackcountrysteve

• Quarter Acre
spent hops
« on: March 10, 2011, 19:29:05 »
Do any of you use these and if so what use do you put them to ?
Ive been told the local brewery has some but before i collect them wanted to make sure it was worthwhile !!

Many Thanks

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: spent hops
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 19:42:02 »
I put a few bags around my brassica & Asparagus towards the end of last summer (as a mulch & general soil improver). I think it encouraged rot in the brassica (my fault for doing it so near to winter) but the soil looks nice underneath. The sacks I got them in were some kind of woven plastic & leaked sugary beer stuff all over the car boot, causing a stain that won't go. I'd take a few black bags next time to keep the juice in. Oh, and the car stank for weeks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:11 »
They are an excellent soil conditioner, but they do need to be dug in.  We tried them as a mulch once, but they dried out and blew around everywhere.  I understand that they have very little fertiliser value.

And I agree about the smell, although it's not too bad when they're fresh.  Another mistake we made from the first batch we had was to put some by for digging in at the end of the season.  When we eventually opened the bags, I can only liken the odour to that of dog poo.  :o

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:49:00 »
Caroline in Tadcaster uses them... being near the brewery...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal