Author Topic: Shredder Paper  (Read 5123 times)

bella4legs

• Not So New ...
Shredder Paper
« on: February 28, 2011, 21:37:59 »
Can I use paper from a domestic shredder to make Compost ?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Shredder Paper
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 21:41:11 »
Absolutely.  I have just chucked a load in my compost bin yesterday.  Sometimes i put a load  of shredded paper in the potato bed prior to the manure.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 21:50:00 »
i use it in the bean trenchers to retain moisture
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 21:50:58 »
Yes, it's an excellent addition to making compost, plus no one will ever be able to sellotape together all your data!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:06 »
My 6 year old asked if we could do some shredding today so after school we will be filling a few carrier's, I put some in the bean trench and always keep some handy if the dalek bins get too wet, stir in a few handfuls and it normally retuns to a nice mix.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:49:11 »
Welcome to A4A Bella... I do... if you have lots of colour/ glossy bits you could have a problem with the inks... but routine things like statements... fine.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:52:30 »
Once lawn mowing starts, and it won't be long now, mix clippings with shredded paper 50/50 and add to compost heap. Rots down fast and heats up lovely
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:02:02 »
Great tips.  Am taking note!
Lizann :0)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:40:27 »
i also use it in my wormbin and it disappears - the worms must like it.]

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 13:51:14 »
I use it as mulch on the fruit bushes! I usually spread a little manure under it, about now in fact or during winter, then I spread a thick layer of it. It looks a bit odd at first, gleaming white!  But it breaks down a bit more slowly than straw etc and provides good mulch, stops grass growing too wild. I just put down more and there is not a single trace of last year's batch...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 15:51:31 »
Modern inks are biodegradeable... by EU order I thought.....

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 16:17:07 »
Welcome to A4A Bella... I do... if you have lots of colour/ glossy bits you could have a problem with the inks... but routine things like statements... fine.

The inks aren't the problem (unless your periodicals come from outside EU) and most of the organic sites accept this unless they have gone gaga (or gagagaia).

The problem is the amount of clay they put into shiny paper - if it isn't well diluted with compost it turns into a horrible claggy mess.

If you are using newspaper then the more the merrier - you can even compost 100% if you can get the air in and top up the nitrogen - either with growmore or with the warm amber nectar you get after the cold amber nectar has been through the drinker (with apologies to the Worzels).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 16:58:56 »
Modern inks are biodegradeable... by EU order I thought.....
Oh good... I'm pleased to hear it..  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 17:33:52 »
we shove some in the squash/cucumber/melon pits as well as the bean trenches, keeps the moisture in, not that we need it at the mo  ;D

bella4legs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 17:46:44 »
Thanks very much everybody for your help, it's greatly appreciated and I will certainly compost shredder paper from now on.

Slugcrusher

• Not So New ...
  • Nothing personal - it's just them or me
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 20:15:14 »
Some of my suppliers shred their computer paper and use it for packing instead of plastic bubble wrap. I had too much last year and used the excess instead of straw under my strawberrys - worked fine as a whole bale of straw is too much.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 21:07:39 »

[/quote]
The problem is the amount of clay they put into shiny paper - if it isn't well diluted with compost it turns into a horrible claggy mess.

[/quote]

I wondered why that happened!
Thanks Vinlander

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 23:25:25 »

I wondered why that happened!
Thanks Vinlander

The silver lining to this is: that wet glossy magazines dry to what is very like an artificial slate - if your raised beds are 'battered' at 45 degrees you can use the 'slates' to line them and stop the rain washing them onto your paths.

It makes a very good stopgap while you collect planks from skips!

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 17:33:22 »
the toxins in paper waste might well be acceptable to the EU but you have to decide if they are acceptable to you - you need to make an informed decision beyond what the powers that be tell us, in my not so humble opinion  ;D - if you care about what goes into your vegetables and fruit and then ultimately in you then you need to do your research

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 21:42:41 »
Having downsized my hen house, I use shredded paper as bedding.  It will be going into the compost bin every week or two so i get the best of both - compost... chicken manure. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal