Author Topic: Do you have problem with siting of compost bins  (Read 1572 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Do you have problem with siting of compost bins
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:07:24 »
Peoplle seem to put their bins on the north end of their plots thereby casting a shadow on the next plot what do you do about this?

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Do you have problem with siting of compost bins
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:32:57 »
Put your bin back to back with it?  They can migrate a bit too.

But yes, it annoys me a bit. especially with large structures.  But there isn't much you can do except ask nicely.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:39:01 »
What sort of compost 'towers' do you have over there? I haven't found bins being problem for shading...but then again we don't have neighbours on all sides..
Digeroo, is you site sort of open plan site..no hedges or fences?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:42:05 »
Yes they spread as well.  If they start on the boundary when they are empty the edge is five inches inside when full.  

I am thinking of the green plastic darlek or even the wooden lattice types.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 23:33:42 »
You have to put them somewhere..... I must admit when my neighbours put their shed on the northern edge of my plot I breathed a sigh of relief and marked the area down for the polytunnel.......... I've got a path running down my southern border, anything they do on the other side of that affects 2 feet less of growing space than it might otherwise... or in fact 1 foot, the path straddles our border, we agreed that when I told them I had some slabs.... we both get to use a path easily wide enough to get a barrow down and oly lose 1 foot of space each..... we're not allowed fences on opur site....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal