Author Topic: growing & saving peas  (Read 12143 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: growing & saving peas
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 17:08:37 »
My plan is to have about 200 split into 5 rows. 2 rows of climbing peas (Alderman that do quite well here) and 3 rows of standalone plants, Kelvedon Wonder, another I can't remember off the top of my head and finally Onward to fill in the gaps for a later crop. Family of 5 but only 3 pea eaters (2 pea haters).
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2011, 20:39:50 »
Robert, after you plant a dozen peas in 3 inch plots, what happens when they go  in the garden, do you plant them as a pot with aa 10  or seperate the seedlings.. thank you XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 07:43:37 »
I don't think I have enough fingers and toes for counting that far ;D
Look what you done now..do I really have to start counting my peas so I can satisfy my own curiosity now.. ::) oh dear..it's going to be long spring, I'm counting the days to summer already..and peas... :-X

It was easy for me to have a rough count as they are mostly sown in pots with about 10 peas to a pot. Anyway Goodie, you can stop counting now  ;D

(2 pea haters).

Nooooooooo! I didn't think this was possible!!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2011, 09:37:47 »

Robert - you mentioned rhubarb spray - what is this good for?

Is it made by  submerging rhubarb leaves in water??

Debs

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30:44 »
Jeannine..I'm not sure what Robert does with his pots but I plant mine without separating the plants..just dunk them in as they are..well, minus the pot ::)
I plant mine so that each clump is almost touching the other or with small gaps,,depending how much space and how many clumps I have to play with.
I haven't noticed thet either way makes much difference. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2011, 14:25:42 »
That's how I plant them out as well. You boil  rhubarb leaves to extract the oxalic acid, though steeping them would probably do it. It's quite a powerful insecticide, and not as lethal to us as nicotine, which used to kill people every year.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2011, 21:26:00 »
peas in guttering in g'house poking through already, as are the others in seed tray . . .& have more on

damp kitchen roll!!  8) :-\

Debs

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2011, 23:05:46 »
I'll be starting some later in the month. There's no hurry.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 22:44:30 »
I planted out the 1st batch today - approx 120 of them  ::) will get round to the dwarf varieties and the remaining climbers over the next week or so.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:01 »
I planted my first the other day. 12 pots with 12 Serpette Guilotteau in each. That'll do a nice wigwam, and there are plenty left. I'll probably grow some of them out for seed next year; if I separate cropping and seed production it's easier to keep the balance right.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal