Author Topic: growing & saving peas  (Read 11953 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: growing & saving peas
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 11:52:41 »
One mistake I make every year with peas is not sowing enough - I've set aside my largest bed this just for peas - can't get enough of them and half never make it past the allotment gates  ::)
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 12:48:38 »
i grow shop bought dried peas and have done so for many years
but dont expect big pods...av around 3 inches long and contains around 6 peas
i grow up netting and sow  in april in  a 8 inch  wide x 20 foot drill

jim

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 18:20:42 »
As I thought - such informed persons can always help on A4A  ;)

So, a good plan might be to grow on damp kitchen roll, plant in guttering in g'house and transplant contents when frosts are past.
Grow up netting fixed to south facing garden fence (gave up my allotment) and wait. . .

Saddad, Why won't they taste very sweet?

Debs

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 19:05:28 »
If they've been developed for dried peas, they may be a variety with less sugar. I grow a lot of the old varieties which were used as dried peas, and they're not sweet at all. It didn't matter to the people who grew them as they used them in things like soups and pease pudding. They're ideal for cooking with, rather than a little pile of peas on the side of your plate, as they're more substantial, with a lot more protein. Apparently Carlin Pea, the oldest known variety (first recorded in 1662) is about 25% protein, while modern processed peas are around 7%, and green peas 4.5%.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 19:33:15 »
We grow a petit pois variety Waverex.  The small pods contain loads of sweet tasting peas.

We watched a telly programme last year in which dried peas (ie mushy peas) were germinated and used for pea shoots, ie for salads and garnish.  They are very tasty, and shall be growing them again this year.

valmarg

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 19:58:26 »
tip to stop mice digging up newly plantd pea seed

after sowing i place a strip of fine mesh wire netting [ 1/4 inch mesh ] over the top of the pea drill and peg it down along the row
stops mice digging up peas

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:19 »
thanks Galina, will get sowing  ;D  ;D  ;D . Plus the other tips like using plastic bottles as cloches.

Every year I try to grow peas, and every year I seem to have a miserable crop! I do things like forget to net them so the birds get to them 1st, or don't give the early ones protection from our spring gales / wind! So this year, sow indoors, harden off, plant with the 4 canes and string, label them clearly (cos I won't remember whats where!), plastic bottle cloches at the ready, fleece to stop flea moth.................oh and memo to self to remember to water / mulch  ::)

This year I WILL SUCCEED  :-X .................................................pretty please!

I also realise that I have an inordinate amount of different beans to grow as well, fortunately I'm a bit more clued up about those  ::)

1066  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:13 »
My problems..well almost all..stopped when I started sowing mine in pots..5 or 6 peas per 3 in pot and I keep those in greenhouse away from mice.
And then I plant those pots without separating the plants..each potfull side by side around wigwam.
Now I've only got sparrows to dealwith..but one the plants have grown halfway up on canes the mesh that I use against the birds can come off and normally they are safe by then...
I done the guttering way too and it's fine when you do straight rows.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:47 »
my first sowing of broadbeans back in late Jan was left in the greenhouse.  I came back after a week to find a neat little dip in the soil in the middle of each pot where the mouse had carefully extracted the swollen bean.  I guess he was hungry so thats fine but I cover my pots in the greenhouse now.

The little fella must be a trapize artist

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12:44 »
These early sowings are tricky aren't they! I tend to do most of mine in pots anyway, although as my ground on the plot is vastly improved I think I will be doing more and more direct sowings, just to save on the general chaos in the house (no greenhouse  :'( )

As these peas are special (swaps etc) I've given most of them the luxury of root trainers - I hope they appreciate it  ::)

I like the idea of a 3" pot and 5 or 6 peas - no root disturbance etc  :) The standard peas I tend to put in 5" pots with approx 10 or 12 and then split them up at planting time  :-\

Fingers crossed, the sowing has been done  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 18:45:57 »
my first sowing of broadbeans back in late Jan was left in the greenhouse.  I came back after a week to find a neat little dip in the soil in the middle of each pot where the mouse had carefully extracted the swollen bean.  I guess he was hungry so thats fine but I cover my pots in the greenhouse now.

The little fella must be a trapize artist

Wood mouse? Those things can really climb.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 04:57:06 »
I have sown Leo box peas, they grow to about two feet tall, I use the same method of support as for broad beans IE sticks at each corner and string to keep peas upright. They do not taste the same as garden peas the reason for that is they are bred to be used as a dried pea. If you can get them the best dried pea to grow is Bachelor's Number 1

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 08:32:04 »
Hi all,
         Very interesting reading your pea stories ;D  I have just brought a packet called Twinkle, (from T &M) It say`s on the pack, a very early variety, self supporting when sowed in a block. any body had experience of these? how did they do?

Regards, Adrian.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06:25 »
twinkle twinkle little star   :D

I haven't heard about those, but I guess as they are earlies you could start some of now  :)

Maybe someone will be along in a while who has tried them  ;)

1066  :)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:30 »
1066, I am using root trainers again this year for some hsl seed from Jayb. 

I am not sure if the soil should be compacted a little but I did it anyway.  This is because when I used them last year for the first time and when it came to planting, I found that all the soil fell away when opended the trainers up

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 13:02:43 »
Ok peeps, more advice required please :)

I have put shop- bought dried marrowfat peas on to damp kitchen roll and they

have germinated after only 3-4 days :o

I'm now ready to plant - but should I use 3" pots or toilet roll tubes??

If toilet roll tubes, do I fill to top with compost & then sow pea or half fill & sow pea, thus leaving half roll for emerging growth to prevent snapping??

Over to you all :-\

Debs

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 13:38:15 »
debs....plant em in a large seed tray [ a round 50 to a tray ] and plant them out in a double row in april
keep in a cold frame or greenhouse till planting time

regards   JIM

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 16:18:57 »
Debs..what are you growing those marrowfat peas for? For peas or to eat as shoots..
If for peas....you can plant them in ether way it doesn't matter...but in pots you will fit more in..or trays..
If for shoots..any larger container will do as they are treated like salad crop..cut and come again.. ;)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 16:28:50 »
Ok peeps, more advice required please :)

I have put shop- bought dried marrowfat peas on to damp kitchen roll and they

have germinated after only 3-4 days :o

I'm now ready to plant - but should I use 3" pots or toilet roll tubes??

If toilet roll tubes, do I fill to top with compost & then sow pea or half fill & sow pea, thus leaving half roll for emerging growth to prevent snapping??

Over to you all :-\

Debs
Toilet roll inners are fine for peas, because they allow for a deep root run.  The far more expensive solution would be commercial roottrainers.  RTs are the rolls royce equipment for starting peas indoors.  Toilet tubes achieve the same long roots without the expense, but are not as easy to use.  You fill toilet tubes to the top and when you are ready to plant the peas out, the planting hole is a little deeper than the tube and you bury the top of the roll too.  If you don't, the tubes (which are not yet degraded at this stage),  form a barrier and the peas can dry out inside the tubes.  Also they become prone to windrock.  

The standard 3 inch pots also work fine for your sprouted seeds.  If you have a deep seed tray that would work.  I often use the plastic trays that supermarket fruit comes in, they are deep enough too.  

If you want them for pea shoots, they could got straight into window boxes at this stage.  If you want straight rows, the guttering method is popular.  Hope it goes well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 16:38:31 by galina »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 17:29:30 »
Debs the only advice I have about using loo rolls is don't  :) I have real problems with them in that I find they get too dry, and stuff doesn't really grow well for me. But maybe that's just me  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal