Produce > Under Glass

Greenhouse staging

<< < (2/2)

sandersj89:
I have staging or wire mesh shelves in my greenhouse’s. I prefer these over trays as they are more flexible. Slats do not normally have gaps of more than a inch so standing pots on them is not a huge problem.

I have both aluminium and wood slats, all of which are easily removeable. The way I have them set up is the slats can be removed but the frame stays in place, this provides very useful support to plants, peppers, toms, cucumbers, melons, etc, as they grow.

If I was doing this again I would prefer aluminium slats. Never rots, dries out quickly and does not harbour any pests, very easy to clean down, will last for donkeys years as no rotting.

HTH

Jerry

Garden Manager:
I thought long and hard about this subject brforte choosing the staging for my new 'house.

In the end i went for staging with removable/reversible trays (with the option to change to slats later).

In addition to this i got a work bench and side table with shelves for storing stuff like pots and small tools.

For the winter i also have some temporary shelving (old mini greenhouse frames)  on the border for overwintering stuff. This will be removed in summer to make way for tomatoes  :D

Apple Dumpling:
I chose slats, but what was most important was that it had to be removable. Mr Dumpling made them for me with tannalised timber. They have folding legs to make them easier to move and store.............However saying that I like Jerry's idea of permanent frames with removable shelves. Wish I'd thought of that myself.

the_plotter:
One thing to remember about slats is that if you keep anything under the bench,when you water it gets soaked too. can be dangerous if you have an electric heater.
              the plotter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version